The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Parking Sccrraaape.

Purity14

I live in an apartment in liverpool with the semi-cool hydraulic parking, ive always thought that I am safe from theves by having CCTV and a guard etc.. but obviously not from this!

This morning i came down to find my front wing (behind the front passenger wheel) scraped and dented by the person that parks next to me in a silver merc.

Now - she is not known to be a good parker, she hasnt left me a note... so i think at this point she may say "i didnt notice that i did it"... ?

Im going home in a second, at work atm - and im wondering what you guys think i should do if she denys it? CCTV *MAY* spot it, but what if it doesnt? - Do i have a leg to stand on in regards to her fixing the SCRAPE that she left... first thing i will point out will be the red paint on her car... and hopefully she wont have brushed it all off! :blink:

If you look at her car and it's got damage that seems to "match" the damage on yours, take photos of hers and yours. If she still denies it, I'd speak to your insurance company about it. At this stage, you wouldn't know for sure it was her fault, but you can voice your suspicions to your insurer. Offer to email them the photos: they'll like that.

All the time, bear in mind that it *might* not have been her.

Just got home.

CCTV shows her park up next to me, then leave in the morning.

The cameras are really good quality(but on small screens for the guards), and i have asked to view it on a bigger television/monitor so that i can potentially see me park WITHOUT damage, then leave WITH damage... but i have to wait till 7:30am tomorrow for that..

Im going to wait for her to come home tonight, check her car - take pictures, then ask her if she would like to fix my car based on all the evidence, if not - i will just advise her that im watching CCTV in the morning... hopefully she will crap it and confess.. or if she keeps denying it - hopefully the CCTV quality will be better on a vga monitor in the morning...

Fingers crossed :/

I found her and spoke with her and just told her that I believed she had done it.

This was met with "no, impossible" and "i dont think so."

I then pointed out that i had silverpaint on my car, red paint on her car (OH YES!!!)

I then pointed at the CCTV cameras and told her it was on film.

She said "Oh im so sorry" and i said i would go get some quotes. She agreed to this!

After she walked off i took pictures of my car, her car and then a video as well!

Then i got a security guard and consierge(sp?) to witness the damage on her car and that there was red paint.(as well as the photos)

I have had 2 estimates of 3XX and 4XX to fix the damage, and have given her the quotes(posted through door).

Ive not heard anything since though, even though i put my phone number on it, and he car is still parked there... so im going to give it till tuesday and then i will have to pay her a visit and ask what her intentions are..

I just hope she wants to pay, else Ill go mad :/

Be careful, I had a similar thing with a neighbour, they agreed to pay for the repairs and then when it had been done and the bill presented they changed their story.

Get something in writing from her before you spend any money and consider using an uninsured loss company to recover the money if necessary, then it shouldn't have any impact on your policy.

Be careful, I had a similar thing with a neighbour, they agreed to pay for the repairs and then when it had been done and the bill presented they changed their story.

Get something in writing from her before you spend any money and consider using an uninsured loss company to recover the money if necessary, then it shouldn't have any impact on your policy.

I thought you had (good) CCTV of yours though Michael?

Its on Sketchy CCTV - I will just tell her (if she doesnt comply though money or insurance) that i will report her for hit and run 10points...

Then, if it still isnt sorted I might just have to get pissed off :/

Edited by Purity14 (see edit history)

I do, it just means I'm still going through a load of legal crap that I might not have had to.

Must chase that up actually, the uninsured loss people that SKY put me on to are a bit crap.

What a prick, i remember the video of it you posted and he can't possible be denying it, especially after mentioning it to you :Pling:

good luck with getting this sorted, both of you. Its a shame we have to go through things like this, similar happened to my old car.

any update?

Yes she says that she doesnt want to pay the 400 quid quote and wont go through insurance, but has a "mate" that will do it for me.

Unfortunately that isnt good enough for me, because i dont want some joey doing the work. And i told her this.

She said that i should meet him at his work on thrusday then.. at a BMW garage(official one near me).. which is then to me fair enough - ill examine the situation carefully and if im happy with the situation when im there ill let him do it. However if it isnt upto standard or im not happy ill just go through insurance/police as i do have all the evidence.. just an annoyance really :/

*If* you do decide to let her "mate" do the repair, make absolutely sure it's not done as a favour from him to her, i.e. make sure it's all properly documented and the usual guarantees and receipts are in place. You don't want it to be an "under the counter" job.

As others said, she's in no position to dictate who does the work. True, if the offer of her friend doing it is completely above-board, they *might* do a better job than some of the other accident-repair places around, but tread very carefully. How do you know he won't cut corners to keep her bill down? Your best bet would be to get it repaired by a repair shop recommended by people on here.

And do remind her that it's an offence to leave the scene of an accident without leaving details. If she didn't even feel the bump hence the reason for not leaving details, I'd say she was driving without due care and attention (just my opinion).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

I smell potential trouble and annoyance, she's hit your car, you don't owe her any favours, escalate it now before it's too late and you have a badly repaired car.

Agreed.

If she has your car repaired she might argue that you accepted the service and the problem as far as she is concerned is no longer a problem between you and her but you and the garage.

Also I fil to see why a BMW garage (a proper one) would realistically undertake the work (and liability). I suspect its just one of the employees who will do it and thus probably not at the garage.

I suspect its just one of the employees who will do it and thus probably not at the garage.

.. and if that's the case, tell her to think again. This should be an official repair (in the sense that you'll have the invoice and receipt for the work). Otherwise, you'll have no comeback if the work's not up to scratch.

Yeah, when I actually see this character in person I should be able to judge the whole scenario up. If I dont feel comfortable I wont even let the repairs take place, however if I -do- ill only do so if i can have a receipt of the work done.

Ill let you know tmwish :)

• 1 year later...