The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Price of fitting tyres?

Seb

I paid £25 for the rears and £20 for the front, but I wasn't at all bothered because I knew they would have had an absolute nightmare with them, which they fully agreed they did have!! Have to say they did an absolutely top job too, was expecting to have to allow for a tiny bit of damage but not so much as a hairline scratch!! :thumbs:

I can't see what the fuss is about. Fitting tyres is not exactly a skilled job. Quite how people manage to damage folks rims fitting a tyre on a modern machine is beyond my understanding.

It takes a complete novice about five mins to learn how to use a tyre machine and wheel balancer properly. The job itself takes a few mins per wheel, I don't see how can they charge any more than £5 per wheel.

Originally posted by Jake

I can't see what the fuss is about. Fitting tyres is not exactly a skilled job. Quite how people manage to damage folks rims fitting a tyre on a modern machine is beyond my understanding.

It takes a complete novice about five mins to learn how to use a tyre machine and wheel balancer properly. The job itself takes a few mins per wheel, I don't see how can they charge any more than £5 per wheel.

In my case they do it by hand- a lot of machine won't take wheels that size apparently and it's too risky especially with a chrome finish. They have to use little rubber feet things and stuff.

Eh............cause they've got the machine and I ain't ??

Problem being that cause it's unskilled there is quite a good chance some knobhead will go steaming in and mark the rims.

I had mine fitted today and it took two guys, they only used the machine to assist making sure it didn't touch the rim, eased them on bit by bit.

Plumbing's easy, but some are shite and most don't turn up but you still call them when the bog goes wrong :confused:

Paul

Tyre machines are used for F1 wheels and huge 4x4 wheels and tons of other massive applications. It's just an excuse for not having the right machinery and for charging more money.

I used to work for my Dad's tyre company when I first left school and I can honestly say that fitting tyres is a piece of cake. (apart from split rim stuff for Plant and HGVs)