The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will these tyre sizes cause very poor handling?

hoff

Im just trying to decide weather or not to go for 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rear tyres or go for 245/275. The wheels are 8.5 front and 9.5 rear.

My question is will the wider tyres cause a noticable differance in handling and ride? And will they increase tramlining a great deal? I should be getting Mr Wilson to do a geo setup once its done:)

Thanks

Thank you:) The roads around here aren't the most pleasant and I dont wont to go too silly and adversly effect the handling and ride anymore than running 18s does compared to 17s.

Im hoping I wont need to roll the front arches too, the rears are done but don't fancy doing the fronts as well.

I used to have GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 245/40/18 and 285/35/18.

Rear arches had to be shaved but the fronts were fine, that was on the standard Bilstein shocks and springs

Thanks for that:) I have lowered mine 20mm so there may be a little rubbing then. I dont remember the offsets either, maybe -30/-35:search:

Im just trying to decide weather or not to go for 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rear tyres or go for 245/275. The wheels are 8.5 front and 9.5 rear.

My question is will the wider tyres cause a noticable differance in handling and ride? And will they increase tramlining a great deal? I should be getting Mr Wilson to do a geo setup once its done:)

Thanks

we are running those sizes (235/255) and chris said this was still to wide really as stock it came with same size tyres all round but there are members running much wider than this,he may also say 17s will handle better

Thanks Paul and Tony&Trace. I'm currently running those widths. I had 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 when I had my 19s and had no problems (rubbing wise, handling...well they were 19s:d) but I have since lowered the car and so thought it may rub the fronts with 245's. And as I said I dont want to compromise the ride/handling too much with tyres that are too wide.

Mime is lowered. I was on 18's with 245s on the front, experienced a little bit of rubbage on full lock.

(Went to 19s) and reduced to 235's on front end- perfect.

Ah, nice one:) A little rubbing on full lock I can cope with:) How was the ride? Much tramling and ok cornering?

Ah, nice one:) A little rubbing on full lock I can cope with:) How was the ride? Much tramling and ok cornering?

The ride is good actually. It's always been firm, but that's how I like it- if you pardon the expression.

As for tramlining I haven't experienced this yet, but there's still hope :D Anyway, with all these bananas in my face, I don't drive as quickly these days :)

Cornering is good too. Of course I'm talking about my car on the road- on a track it may not be as well set up, but I like it.

F: 235/19/35

R: 275/19/30

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

we are running those sizes (235/255)
So not those sizes then.

chris said this was still to wide really as stock it came with same size tyres all round
Some NA Supras came with the same size tyres front and rear. Some NAs came with 225 front and 245 rear.

All proper Supras came with 235 front and 255 rears

Some NA Supras came with the same size tyres front and rear.

This I don't think is correct, the smallest factory sizes on the 16's are 225 front and 245 rear. They never came with same size front and rear sizes from Toyota, however many imports came over with front wheels and tyre sizes fitted on the rear.