The mkiv Supra Owners Club

flip keys

fruity_south

after reading a thread about different style keys supra owners have i thought id look into changing mine. i know alot of owners were after the flip out style but where having difficulty finding them. well the search is over, i got mine from ebay for 17.50 including p+p and then paid an additional 7 quid to get it cut. works a treat and is a good qaulity item. i cant believe that some who were looking for them were being quoted in the 100's for a key from toyota. this is who i got mine off http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/msy_ltd

some pics bellow, the bottons dont do anything though im sure if your cleaver unlike me you can fit your alarm chipboards into it.

pics bellow

been speaking to a electro freak friend of mine this evening and he says there is a possibility to make the buttons work. if your current alarm fob buttons line up simular to them on the flip key, if not then you would need to ad an additional board to it and relocate the buttons, very messy work, but he seems to think he can do it for me in about 10mins

yeah

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300275273401

it was an auction and it seems he does them cheaper now and then

Thanks

Will try and sort one over the next week or so.

If your mate does want to put a price on putting the alarm bits inside, let me know, as I would send him the spare:D

Thanks

Will try and sort one over the next week or so.

If your mate does want to put a price on putting the alarm bits inside, let me know, as I would send him the spare:D

sure thing, im just sourcing a spare before letting him go mad on it. hate for there to be a problem and i become completly fobless

• 1 month later...
Just bought one off him yesterday. Got it for £15 plus £2.50 delivery. :) And just been quoted £3.50 to get it cut at local key place.

Same prices for me too :)

Plus... 4 tactile switches (KR88V) and an LED (WL32K) from Maplin, £3.32.

Oh, and a smaller 27A battery (ZB55K) to replace the 23A that was in the fob, £2.09.

And a few hours to squash one of my fobs in (a lot of trimming and rearranging).

Looks messy inside but works just fine :D

Dsc_3328_crop_800w_flip_inside.jpg Dsc_3335_crop_800w_flip_front.jpg Dsc_3332_crop_800w_old_fob.jpg

Same prices for me too :)

Plus... 4 tactile switches (KR88V) and an LED (WL32K) from Maplin, £3.32.

Oh, and a smaller 27A battery (ZB55K) to replace the 23A that was in the fob, £2.09.

And a few hours to squash one of my fobs in (a lot of trimming and rearranging).

Looks messy inside but works just fine :D

[ATTACH]85798[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]85799[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]85800[/ATTACH]

Superb.

The only warning I will give people re the flip keys on eBay (as I got one myself) is that the key is only held my a small screw and does in many instances seem to wobble as the screw gets loose. I keep thinking that one day I will put the key in the ignition and that the metal will detach itself from the plastic fob.

Superb.

The only warning I will give people re the flip keys on eBay (as I got one myself) is that the key is only held my a small screw and does in many instances seem to wobble as the screw gets loose. I keep thinking that one day I will put the key in the ignition and that the metal will detach itself from the plastic fob.

That is a bit worrying, mine has started to wobble already. :( Might be worth taking it apart and putting some loctite in there... or have you tried that already?

That is a bit worrying, mine has started to wobble already. :( Might be worth taking it apart and putting some loctite in there... or have you tried that already?

Not tried from the inside but I have tried to put some in the gap between the ket and the 'slot'. I might have a go at taking it apart tonight actually and will let you know.

Thing is, you get what you pay for and in this case the statement rings true.

Not tried from the inside but I have tried to put some in the gap between the ket and the 'slot'. I might have a go at taking it apart tonight actually and will let you know.

Beat you to it :) Tightened up the two screws and put a dab of threadlocker in. Doesn't wobble now, just hope it lasts. Anyway, looks like both screws would have to come completely out before the key would fall out, and that's pretty unlikely.

Thing is, you get what you pay for and in this case the statement rings true.

That makes them sound a lot worse than they are I reckon :)