The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC cowls & efficiency

V

I'm looking for an intercooler but the exact pictures of the products dont seem to marry up with each on different sites.

I would prefer the cowl (inlet/outlet) to have the piping central to the core and not off-set, which most seem to be.

Is there any reason they are off-set?, as i would of thought it would be better to be central.

Is it to suit the positioning of the core in relation to some noses?

Seems are leaning towards the HKS type R or APEXi if the picture are correct?

I've got the standard nose at the mo, but MAY change later on.

Any thoughts appreciated as always

Cheers

SV

End tank design (the slope angle) sorts out any offset of the inlet and outlet ports to a point. It's usually packaging that influences their positioning. I would worry about ducting air into the IC as that will give you more gains than trying to get central ports :)

-Ian

I'd say the GReddy 3-row is better as it's excellent value for money & comes with all the kit you need (pipes, oil cooler and overflow relocation kit) - and, an extra row on the intercooler gives you only a very marginal increase in cooling capacity, certainly not worth the premium charged for the 4-row and the associated packaging issues it comes with.

-Ian

Cheers guys,

I'm wont go silly big as far as power goes, but i want it all to run the best it can.

So the positiong of the pipes in the end caps helps with the pipe work before and aft - directing the air?

I'll be going for the normal bpu with stock T's, but when i kill them (theyve done 30k at the mo) i'll probably end up with hybrids as i cant stand the amount of lag i've got with the std ceramics!!

Not overly bothered about shiny bits that, but is a bonus (no bling in me :( )

I am concern about the greddy caps but does seem to be rated.

Cheers

SV

I really like the Greddy 3 row which I fitted to mine last summer. it looks great with the polished pipes and blue silicone conectors and was'nt to difficult to fit.

It certainly made a difference on the drag strip allowing me to break into the 12's even on one of the hottest days of the year which I had previosly failed to do even in cold weather before fitting the FMIC, despite numerous attempts.:p

The blitz FMIC is also extremly good value for money but you should budget to have the pipes polished as they don't come polished as standard!:(

Cheers

Kevin

Here's a pic of the Blitz, fresh out of the box. Kit also includes the smaller header tank, power steering cooler, clamps and hoses and brackets etc. I've polished up the bits of pipe you will be able

to see myself since I took the photo. They're not a mirror finish, but good enough for me.

fmic.jpg