The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercar track day

Golfpro

Just back from a supercar track day the wife bought me for my birthday.

Got to drive a 911, Aston V8, 360, lambo and Audi R8.

All different to drive but interesting to compare with the Supe.

Aston= pile of sh1te. It is a big heavy lump and the brakes are an embaressment.

The 911 is nicely balamced and easy to drive on the limit but dosnt have the grunt of a single Supe.

The Lambo and R8 are really quick with awesome brakes but because they are 4 wheel drive and are controlled with loads of electronic aids you dont get much feedback. They will make everyone look like a good driver but I was left feeling a bit unattached.

The 360 was pure magic. Probably not as quick as the two above but there is so much more feedback. A bit more tricky especially the stupid gated gearbox but when you got it right it was so much more rewarding.

Did they let you open the taps on those cars? Most of the feedback I hear from these track days is they don't let you push the cars at all (kind of understandable, but thats not what you pay for!)

Yep, full throttle. But it wasn`t really a propper track. Just two straights with a chicane an 180 degree corner at each end. So basically a flat out blast down the straight, dab on the brake through the chicane and ram the brakes at the end to slow down for the corner.

Probably about 120 down the straight I would think. But it would have been nicer to have been able to throw them round some twisty bits. I guess that it is probably exciting enough for Joe public who dosnt drive a 500+ hp Supe every day.

ahhh I see. Not the biggest of tracks (or the best organised). Had a good day tho. I didn't find the lambo to be that quick. Lovely motor tho and a great day

Yep, facilities were badly arranged. Dont know why the huts wernt closer to the pick up area. That way everyone could have stayed inside until they were called rather than having to stand out in the cold. At least we got a dry day yesterday. I`m sure it was freezing there today?

I think that the Lambo and R8 probably are fast but because they are so easy to drive and comfortable you dont realise how fast you are going. The Aston actually feels faster even though it is the slowest of all the cars. Its just that it is nowhere near as composed and you think that you are going faster because it takes so much longer to brake at the end of the straights.

I've seen them doing the same days up at Elvington and wondered how much fun you could possibly have driving up and down an airfield in a straight line, guess it's nice to hear and feel the cars but you could probably blag a dealership test drive in most if you don't look like a complete pikey.

I was there last Monday on a corporate do. I thought that the R8 was the best of the lot. After we had been in all five cars, the head driver Dominic said that we were in for an unexpected surprise......!!

A ride with him in a Focus rally car......woot!!

Things were going well as he tore around the little track at a frightening pace........right untill he binned it on the second lap....:blink::D He had one of my customers in with him at the time and it didn't look good as they went through the fence and into the field......:taped:

They were ok but the focus was a mess. We all then had to go out in the spare car with another driver as this guy Dominic was sulking in a portacabin....:D

H.

I was there last Monday on a corporate do. I thought that the R8 was the best of the lot. After we had been in all five cars, the head driver Dominic said that we were in for an unexpected surprise......!!

A ride with him in a Focus rally car......woot!!

Things were going well as he tore around the little track at a frightening pace........right untill he binned it on the second lap....:blink::D He had one of my customers in with him at the time and it didn't look good as they went through the fence and into the field......:taped:

They were ok but the focus was a mess. We all then had to go out in the spare car with another driver as this guy Dominic was sulking in a portacabin....:D

H.

Nice!

It must be a great job for those guys. Thrashing fast cars and getting paid.

That little Lotus is quick as well. Think it has had a little work done?