The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra engine in Rx7

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

ive been thinking about this for some time now ;)

be the first one in the uk and imo 2jz one of the best if not the best jap engines for reliability and easy tuning then stick it into a lightweight rx7;) not much going to touch you especially if its a single turbo...

watch paul whiffin build one now for time attack lol

be the first one in the uk and imo 2jz one of the best if not the best jap engines for reliability and easy tuning then stick it into a lightweight rx7;) not much going to touch you especially if its a single turbo...

watch paul whiffin build one now for time attack lol

Trouble is, I would want to keep the twins if I could and strip the car out and run it as a maxed out BPU car as I reckon it would be quick enough given the weight that has been lost. Only problem is that I think the sequential system wouldn't all fit in there :(

from 2jz swap.com they say there's 60kg more over the front end, I think if you got the car corner balanced after it wouldnt be that noticable on the road, thats with the 1JZ though and not the 2jz, i'd be go with the 1J purely because of the weight saving over the 2 and expense of the engine, It looks like a 1JZ in the vid Jurgen posted too.

Yea that looks like a 1jz in the vid ive been thinking of doing this to my 7 for a while the conversion kit from 2jzswap in total costs about 3k that not including shipping then you have to get a the engine box ecu all ancillaries, send your 1jz wiring harness to them and they convert it to plug and play to the 7. You also need an aftermarket bonnet because the engine sits higher, the best 1jz to get imo is the 1996+ 2.5vvti single turbo unit i think its 285bhp standard, and as tom said its about 60kg heavier than the 13b.

Had an enquiry about doing this on an FD over the weekend. Off the top of my head, work and issues :-

Most of the conversion kits ive seen are developed for LHD cars, so, when installing the 2jz/1jz you may run into serious clearance issues with a stock TT setup on a right hooker. Mainly due to clearance with the steering linkage/rack and maybe the brake servo (FD bay is tight as is). So a single tubby conversion maybe needed

Wether you running a 2jz or 1jz you will need an r154 gearbox, 1jz r154 bell housing, 1jz flywheel, 1jz clutch kit, custom extension housing for the gear stick to locate to original position, and a custom prop shaft.

Wiring using 2jz/1jz loom and ecu should be stright forward enough with a little felting around the charging and starting systems, main issues would be with driving the stock rx7 gauges from toyota sensors and also some sort of custom speed sensor/converter setup for the speedo. (If money wasnt an object the maybe standalone such as motec and an ADL dash)

Custom PS lines, maybe custom rad, rad coolant pipes, custom intercooler and piping setup

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

Most of the conversion kits ive seen are developed for LHD cars, so, when installing the 2jz/1jz you may run into serious clearance issues with a stock TT setup on a right hooker. Mainly due to clearance with the steering linkage/rack and maybe the brake servo (FD bay is tight as is). So a single tubby conversion maybe needed

Wether you running a 2jz or 1jz you will need an r154 gearbox, 1jz r154 bell housing, 1jz flywheel, 1jz clutch kit, custom extension housing for the gear stick to locate to original position, and a custom prop shaft.

The later 1jz's came with one turbo anyway, is probably bottom mount but would still be better than a twin. And why would you want to relocate the shifter? #i know to get an r154 to fit a jza80 chassis the shifter has to be moved back to the same place as the soarer r154 but i've assuming an rx7 would have different dimensions than a sup, have you measured it up in the past?

The later 1jz's came with one turbo anyway, is probably bottom mount but would still be better than a twin. And why would you want to relocate the shifter? #i know to get an r154 to fit a jza80 chassis the shifter has to be moved back to the same place as the soarer r154 but i've assuming an rx7 would have different dimensions than a sup, have you measured it up in the past?

1jz vvti engines arnt that easy to come by IMHO, and as for the shifter, i did say possible problems - whats the chances of the r154 being a perfect fit? these are all things that need to be considered with any conversion

EDIT :

yep, it does need to be extended

just found this kit online which should save some hassles

http://tech2motorsports.com/tech-2-motorsports/tech-2-1jz2jz-swapkit-rx7/g-54935.aspx

Edited by bondango (see edit history)