The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overheating, Steam At Bulkhead Exhaust And In Cabin

Jamesy W

Just set off to go out for a haircut, when I noticed some white smoke coming from the exhaust. This had never happened before so alarm bells started ringing right away. Then I noticed the air in the cabin was freezing cold.

Then just to make matters worse the steam/smoke starts coming into the cabin :blink:

I had turned around and drove home right away, once I got into the drive I noticed steam coming out at the rear of the engine.

It's likely to be worth mentioning that when I was out in the car during the week, the air would only get hot when I was driving at speed, whereas if I stopped or drove rather slowly the air would get cold and the temp gauge would rise to over 200oF

Opinions please folks.

If you have coolant over the back of the engine bay, that leans heavily to a pipe with a hole in it. There are two pipes that connect up the matrix. Have a look at them. It might not be the matrix but rather one of the feedpipes. If it is inside the cockpit as well, I'd hazard a guess that the split in the pipe might go into the bulkhead as well.

*Gives Gav a big kiss*

Right took your advice, had a look at the hoses. The first one is sound. looks as ggod as new, then the 2nd one......I looked at it at first and it looked like a thick strand of hair, then on further finger probing I found my finger half way down the pipe :blink:

Any ideas on the part number? Just uploading pics

Thanks again Gav

PICT1466.jpg

PICT1465.jpg

Edited by Jamesy W (see edit history)

*Gives Gav a big kiss*

Right took your advice, had a look at the hoses. The first one is sound. looks as ggod as new, then the 2nd one......I looked at it at first and it looked like a thick strand of hair, then on further finger probing I found my finger half way down the pipe :blink:

Any ideas on the part number? Just uploading pics

Thanks again Gav

hehehe, you are welcome chap. :) (Steady on with the tongue *grin*)

I'm sure someone will be along with the EPC shortly.

The bad news is that the pipe runs all the way to the heater matrix (I believe), so you have to pull the matrix out really anyway :( (I'd personally change the matrix core at the same time, so you don't have to worry about it for the next 10 years)

I had the exact same problem and changed the pipes, no need to remove the matrix, would be a good idea to check any other hoses as well as they'll probly be in a similar condition, infact i'd just replace them job done.

Dont have any part numbers but Steve Manley, Toyota Oxford has never asked me for part numbers so possibly worth a call and gives good discount.

01865 291333

dont forget to get some cool red coolant while your at it

I had the exact same problem and changed the pipes, no need to remove the matrix, would be a good idea to check any other hoses as well as they'll probly be in a similar condition, infact i'd just replace them job done.

Dont have any part numbers but Steve Manley, Toyota Oxford has never asked me for part numbers so possibly worth a call and gives good discount.

01865 291333

dont forget to get some cool red coolant while your at it

Yeah, seeing the pictures and having a quick look in the shed... it is the metal pipes that go to the matrix and the soft pipes run up to the bulkhead :)

Cheers Dunk, I'm gonna give him a call shortly. Although he struggles somewhat with my accent :)

All the other pipes seem to be in quite good condition, just appears to be this one that as popped.

Would you like me to call him on your behalf :)

Yep its a bit of a squeeze but not too difficult as long as the engine is cold :)

And it isn't pitch dark :), when mine went pop I was on the way back one night on a country road and I had to bodge it by jamming two screwdriver handles into the feedpipes so I could get home all by the light of my mobile phone :) (Oh yes, that was after having to look for the rad cap which I twisted and shot off somewhere in the dark)

And it isn't pitch dark :), when mine went pop I was on the way back one night on a country road and I had to bodge it by jamming two screwdriver handles into the feedpipes so I could get home all by the light of my mobile phone :) (Oh yes, that was after having to look for the rad cap which I twisted and shot off somewhere in the dark)

Love the part about the rad cap :D

I was rebuilding a mates bike engine by torch light years ago and lost one of the little end circlips in exactly the same way, only took an hour to find it lol

I haven't touched a drink all year :D

To be honest I'm rather chuffed by the outcome of this, albeit I'm off the road for a week, but I had anticipated it being the water pump and a few hundred quid out the window.:)

Its a relief when its not as bad as you 1st think :)