The mkiv Supra Owners Club

80Mph limit!!!!

veilsideTT

This has been talked about for ages, but it always gets thrown out because they assume total carnage will ensue, bodies all over the barriers and wrecks littering the carriageway hospitals over run as we all go mad, you get the picture.

I though the limit was 99 anyway :flame Dev

I hope it gets a better reception this time, modern cars have the brakes to stop at this speed much quicker than cars around when the limit was set at 70.

Originally posted by Terminator

This has been talked about for ages, but it always gets thrown out because they assume total carnage will ensue, bodies all over the barriers and wrecks littering the carriageway hospitals over run as we all go mad, you get the picture.

I though the limit was 99 anyway :flame Dev

I hope it gets a better reception this time, modern cars have the brakes to stop at this speed much quicker than cars around when the limit was set at 70.

Surely your wrong?? the limit is 99.9 isnt it?

any faster and it's a ban an 6 points! :)

Paul.

Anything over 96 is a court appearance.

Did anyone see Clarksons video where he does an emergency stop in a Focus, Rangerover and an old Anglia. Put a polystyrene marker where the Highway code says you should be able to stop before when travelling at 50mph iirc, the focus stopped the shortest, then the rangerover and the anglia went crashing through the sign.

Originally posted by Terminator

How many cars do 70 on a motorway anyway:eek:

Funny you should ask, as I was reading an article on the subject this very morning...

Apparently, 55% of cars on the motorway exceed the speed limit (or did in 2000 when the government did the survey). The average speed on motorways is 70mph. Most people who do exceed the limit only do so by about 10mph.

Given the number of Supras I have seen driving quite a way above this figure :cool: , I guess this must also mean that there's an equal number of drivers who tootle along the motorway at around 35mph - presumably these are the same guys who spoil all our winding country roads as well...

Splurge

Whatever the limit, it will be ridiculously high in some situations and ridiculously low in others - and we will all totally ignore it when it suits us :D Whatever the details, policies like this show an attitude 100 times better than the view new labia takes of driving. I've said it before - with a very few exceptions politicians couldn't give a flying fuck about road safety, the environment, GM crops, whatever. That's not their job. Their job is to pursue policies which will win them votes, and Michael Howard has obviously realised the wealth of discontent that the current anti-motoring agenda has sown within the masses. Mass prosecution for minor transgressions of an irrational law has firmly broken the link between speed enforcement and road safety in the minds of the populace; Brunstrom et als hystrionics just further our cause.

No matter how much spin they put on it, road casualty figures for this year are projected to be six percent WORSE than ten years ago, before the first speed camera had been installed. They are trying to tell us that black is white and the voting public are starting to see this.

And by the way; my usual motorway cruising speed in the mondeo is about 55-65mph, I just keep up with the trucks so it doesn't cause anyone any major problems (unlike the doddery old 40mph mobile chicanes I sometimes see on the A1!). Making up for all the times I've done triple that in the Supra I guess ;)

When it comes to motorways, its not how quick the thng beaks, but what happens to it when the driver tries to swerve. Anyone see clarkson test an old jag against an old rang rover at 40mph, the range rover just rolled over luck a puppy dog having its belly tickled. And then you see all those mums driving their kids to school in their big 4x4 thinking that their safe, unitl they swerve for the fluffy cat that just ran out in front of them. :( :(