The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lucky Escape . . . 4Studs Sheared!!

Marco79

Cant beleive my lucky stars joined the motorway all was good, then felt a light vibration which quickly turned to heavy vibration (Slowed down to 70 :eyebrows: ) then my arse end started to slide and jump all over the place, i consequently very rapidly swung into the hard shoulder thinking must be a flat or snapped coil spring. I didnt half get a shock when i found my driver side rear wheel at a 45 degree angle and all but one stud sheared off, i dare not think what would have happened if i had stayed on the road a minute longer!

Just bought new set of ARP studs as replacements

:( [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

What is it with studs breaking at the moment??? The cold weather causing them to contract and break as they are already overtightened???

Maybe worth checking your nuts chaps! I mean you wheel nut torques lol

yeah that is quite disconcerting, maybe one has gone stressing the others which have in turn poped off and so on, as you say maybe overtightened and contracted then the alloy has warmed making it even worse and ping, if i were the OP i would change every single stud on the car

the alloys are correct fitment they have been on the car for couple years now, the studs didn't look worn at all, I'm blaming over torqueing the nuts garages seem to just Wang the nuts up till their shoulder pops lol apparently it's recomended that a 75 ftlb torque is used. I have now replaced all rear studs and checked the torque on the fronts. The wheel appears to be ok which I was pleased to find altho the tyre was a tad tired after it's ordeal

Lucky escape, I tried exactly the same thing as a passenger in another car. We couldn't figure what was wrong until I walked next to the car seing the wheel going in/out. That being after 25miles on motorway...

The studs, thats the things you screw the wheel nuts on, right? Sorry for the stupid question, but being from Denmark I'm not familiar with all parts on the car in English. Yet. :)

I have actually looked to get new, longer studs so i could get a 1cm spacer in my front wheels.

Where can I get new and slightly longer studs? Am i right it assuming the existing can be knocked out with a hammer?

Another solution is hub centric spacers with their own studs which I have in the back, but i can't seem to find them smaller than 2cm in width. Anyone know where I might find this?