The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Basic 'Newbie Style' Alloy Wheels Questions + Opinions pls

marbleapple

Hi Guys,

I want to get some alloys and really don't know where to start having never bought them before. I presently have 17's and whilst I love the design I don't think they are big enough or 'stick out' enough. I think the main problem is that my skirts are fairly flared at the back and the spats don't help.

Can some one tell me what sort of alloy wheels one should be looking for and width and size wise? Ideally I would like 19's (I'm not a racer so not overly worried about handling) but I am unsure as to whether they would be too big for the car as it has been lowered. I would consider 18's.

I note people seem to suggest that the back wheels should be wider than the front (which would make sense looking at my car) but are alloy wheels common in this format?

Finally, would any type of alloy wheel fit? I.e. could I buy BMW alloy wheels or does the Supra have a certain type of fit (I'm guessing they do)

Pics at the bottom are of my car and the wheels.

In the 3rd pic the supra is reflecting the colour the car opposite on its wing (just in case anyone wonders why I seem to have a 2 tone car).

Hi Guys,

I want to get some alloys and really don't know where to start having never bought them before. I presently have 17's and whilst I love the design I don't think they are big enough or 'stick out' enough. I think the main problem is that my skirts are fairly flared at the back and the spats don't help.

Can some one tell me what sort of alloy wheels one should be looking for and width and size wise? Ideally I would like 19's (I'm not a racer so not overly worried about handling) but I am unsure as to whether they would be too big for the car as it has been lowered. I would consider 18's.

I note people seem to suggest that the back wheels should be wider than the front (which would make sense looking at my car) but are alloy wheels common in this format?

Finally, would any type of alloy wheel fit? I.e. could I buy BMW alloy wheels or does the Supra have a certain type of fit (I'm guessing they do)

Pics at the bottom are of my car and the wheels.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/matchboxmodels/CIMG3865.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/matchboxmodels/CIMG3882.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/matchboxmodels/CIMG3856.jpg

In the 3rd pic the supra is reflecting the colour the car opposite on its wing (just in case anyone wonders why I seem to have a 2 tone car).

Are yours the same width all round?

If they are let me know when you sell them as i may be interested in them for my gt4

Are yours the same width all round?

If they are let me know when you sell them as i may be interested in them for my gt4

Strange how many people have said that in the last 5 minutes :D I'll let you know mate don't worry :)

How would I know if they7 are the same the full way round? - Would I be looking at tyre size?

but I like those wheels :)

Thank you

stud pattern 5x114.3

just got a set of 19's they were

front 235/35/19

back 265/30/19

yes u want the back to be wider than the front :thumbs:

Great thanks.

Do you think 19's would fit mine with it being lowered and does the stud pattern relate to what sort of wheels I should look for?

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

It's the offsets that decide how far the wheel comes out to the edge of the arch. OEM wheels are 50 both front and back where as aftermarket wheels are less than that (around 37 IIRC rear and 42 front?). If you do decide on new wheels the trader should help you more with the size that suits.

If you lower the car its again the offset and how much you drop it by that will dedicate if you get rubbing. Some 18's for instance will rub. If you do get some rubbing get the arches rolled by someone who knows what they are doing.

As an alternative to new wheels you could use hubcentric spacers on the rear. Not ideal but will do the job. If you do do that make sure it is hubcentric spacers you get.

It's the offsets that decide how far the wheel comes out to the edge of the arch. OEM wheels are 50 both front and back where as aftermarket wheels are less than that (around 37 IIRC rear and 42 front?). If you do decide on new wheels the trader should help you more with the size that suits.

If you lower the car its again the offset and how much you drop it by that will dedicate if you get rubbing. Some 18's for instance will rub. If you do get some rubbing get the arches rolled by someone who knows what they are doing.

As an alternative to new wheels you could use hubcentric spacers on the rear. Not ideal but will do the job. If you do do that make sure it is hubcentric spacers you get.

HI,

Thanks for that.

I might look into the hubcentric spacers.... are they easy to get hold of?

How would I know if they7 are the same the full way round? - Would I be looking at tyre size?

Yeah have a look at the tyre sizes that way you should be able to tell!

I have stock 17's on mine and the fronts are 235/40/17 and the rears are 265/40/17 to get that power down on the tarmac ;)

Yeah have a look at the tyre sizes that way you should be able to tell!

I have stock 17's on mine and the fronts are 235/40/17 and the rears are 265/40/17 to get that power down on the tarmac ;)

OK,

My back are: 255/40 ZR17 94W

My Front are: 235/45 ZR17

If spacers are £100 I might be better just trying to sell my wheels (god knows how much they are worth - next thread perhaps!) and put the money towards new wheels.

All I have to decide then is whether 19's would fit and if not what 18's I should go for.... People suggest ones with a lip but wouldn't that just put me in the same problem as before?

For what it's worth I think the design & colour of your wheels suits the car perfectly, I agree they sit in a little too far, but if you go for new wheels I think a similar look with the correct fitment would be perfect :)

Thank you.

So larger and sticky out more? (the wheels)

I know a few people suggest silver rather than black. I'm torn tbh.

Mmmm, going to have to have a budget really. Size wise, whether 18 or 19 inch you should be looking at 8.5 wide fronts and 9.5 rear. As I said before most aftermarket wheels give similar offsets I believe. And in that case rubbing wont be to much of a problem I shouldn't think. But a small roll to the arch would solve that anyway.

Your wheels are Work emotion yeh? If they are a good fitment, widths and offsets, for a supra you should get a tidy sum for them. Though I'm not sure how much.

Size is totally upto you, purists will suggest 17's, 19's look the nuts but they're not going to handle the rough stuff anywhere near as good. But yes ther def need to fill the arches a bit more.

As for colour, silver has been done to death, that dark bronze suits the red like a dream, the blue anodized nuts look the biz too

Ooh, just had a thought. How about Rota Torque Drifts in 18"? http://www.rarerims.co.uk/alloys_sub2.asp?id=53

Look very similar to what you have now and a good price for a good quality wheel:) Wheel and tyre packages come in at around £1200

They look superb wheels.

I think what I go for would depend on what I can get for my alloys.

That site is great though. Trying to upload my supra into it

Size is totally upto you, purists will suggest 17's, 19's look the nuts but they're not going to handle the rough stuff anywhere near as good. But yes ther def need to fill the arches a bit more.

I'm no purist and I'm not into rough stuff either (drive like an old man).

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

Just check you saw the right link Jay, I put the wrong one in. I would buy from Envy etc on here rather than Rare Rims though. Better communication:) It doesn't look like they offer the staggered sizes to buy straight off the site.

Yip I saw the updated link, bronze (or gunmetal) would look stunning with the correct offset :)

Yip I saw the updated link, bronze (or gunmetal) would look stunning with the correct offset :)

I agree, bronze would be similar to the ones on now:) Whatever you chose though if you go for a new wheel whatever it may be check with the trader to make sure you have an offset that will do what you require as you may end up in the same boat. Thats one of the reasons I would use one of the clubs traders:)

I'll let you chose your own wheel though:d

I agree, bronze would be similar to the ones on now:) Whatever you chose though if you go for a new wheel whatever it may be check with the trader to make sure you have an offset that will do what you require as you may end up in the same boat. Thats one of the reasons I would use one of the clubs traders:)

I'll let you chose your own wheel though:d

Wise words :)