The mkiv Supra Owners Club

shock absorbers

Becks

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this back up intead of starting a new thread as I may be getting some TT shocks to replace my NA ones. But I'm a bit unsure what way to proceed.

Been reading a lot on suspension here but end up getting a bit confused with the different recommendations and experiences everyone has with the different combinations available, and the different driving styles people use them for. So just a couple of questions really, and hopefully some sound recommendations.

1. Is ther any difference between the "harshness" of the standard JSpecTT shocks and the JSpec NA ones?

2. I'm basically after a smooth ride over normal A and B roads. I've no intention of putting it round a track. And apart from the "oh go on then" moments the only fast driving is done on the motorway so extreme handling isnt a concern really. I just dont want a bone jarring journey every time theres a matchstick on the road anymore - Its stopping me enjoying the car.

3. For a comfortable ride are there any particular preferences of setup or manufacturer? I'm toying with used TT ones (50k on them I think), or just going the whole hog and getting some brand new coilovers all round.

4. I'm liking the look of the HSD ones that TRD (I think) has on his car. And he seems quite happy with them. Unfortunately the HSD Smoote isnt available for the Supe. Also looking at the Tein Superstreets as well as there seems to be a lot of people happy with them Would these be to track orientated for a daily driver over harshish roads?

I dont fully understand all the pre-load/rebound rates malarky. But I'm off to read up on it.

I know a lot of people will simply say to go and see CW but I (honestly) havent got the time to drive down, leave the car with him and get it all set up. My budget would stretch (and I mean stretch) to around the £700 range which would see me to the coilovers above.

Or I could get the 2nd hand TT and maybe put the rest towards renewing bushes/control arms/wishbones etc. The only problem is I've no idea what would be best renewing - or if it needed doing at all, and if it would be more effective than the shocks.

Any recommendations/advice welcome.

Ta

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)

Done exactly the same, got two rear kyb agx adjustable shocks coming from the states, £200 delivered !! with eibach springs to follow as i've had whole back end replaced (rear subframe) due to minor bump :innocent:

Got these shocks from "overstock autoparts " in the states , got eight settings on rear with adjustable knob , i think the front has got four settings and with eibach springs they have got a good review !

but i have read a few mixed reviews that after around 18 months on certain cars/setups that they lost some of their stiffness etc !

Edited by Dyer864 (see edit history)

Always best to start your own thread...but anyway;

1. If there is any it will be negligible but down the the fact the NA is lighter. AFAIK the UK spec TT was softer than the j-spec so look for UK spec damper and spring assemblies.

2. See 1

3. Stick with stock if you want comfort. To get comfort from none OEM coilovers will be expensive (FYI the stockers are coil overs - the just arn't height adjustable)

4. Get a ride in a car with the suspension you think you want. Tein are cheap.

Just stick with stock, don't get cheap (sub 1k all in) replacements.

Cheers mattH Alex :tongue:

I've priced up a complete stock set from Toyota and the bottom line is its way way over my budget for a full set of shocks, springs and topmounts - £1200 + VAT. No doubt they'll be cheaper from elsewhere though.

I think I may have to go stock second hand if people really think the Teins ect are not going to be a comfortable ride. I presumed having 16 settings would have been a fair range covering both spectrums. Just to be clear i dont expect to be riding on a bed of air, but at the moment mines criminal.

As I said, my budgets unfortunately going to have to be about £700 max. I suppose I just need to see what I can get with that.

Always best to start your own thread...but anyway;

1. If there is any it will be negligible but down the the fact the NA is lighter. AFAIK the UK spec TT was softer than the j-spec so look for UK spec damper and spring assemblies.

2. See 1

3. Stick with stock if you want comfort. To get comfort from none OEM coilovers will be expensive (FYI the stockers are coil overs - the just arn't height adjustable)

4. Get a ride in a car with the suspension you think you want. Tein are cheap.

Just stick with stock, don't get cheap (sub 1k all in) replacements.