The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres (yep, again)

pulse

Hey all,

I'm just after some quick advice as I can't seem to find any details online.

I found today that .. well, most of the tread on my rears can't be much more than 1-2mm deep, if that - ie, in desperate need of some rubber (no wonder I couldn't get up a small incline when it was snowing).

Currently I have Bridgestone Potenza's all round on my car. RE03s on the front and RE05s on the rear (I think, though may be the other way around). I've seen some recommendations for S03s, and I know others have hated them too.

Does anybody know the difference between the Bridgestone "RE" and "S" series? If so, how would Eagle F1s stack up against the REs? I've been very happy with the tyres on the car in every way, but can't seem to find these "RE"s anymore (certainly not fitted in Aylesbury anyway).

Best quote I've seen for Eagles in my size (255/17/40) are 133.60 incl. VAT/balancing/fitting each. Pirelli PZERO Rossos tip the scales at just under 160 each, and the S03s are around 154 each. With this in mind, I'm be tempted by the 133 quid F1s.

I know there are cheaper quotes than this out there, but keep in mind it'll probably cost me 30-50 quid in petrol to get anywhere to do them at the cheaper prices. Plus I lose at least half a day.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what to go for, and how all of these compare to the RE series Potenzas? It really is quite urgent I get some new booties on her :) I also won't be replacing the fronts, as they were new when I bought the car (and don't need replacing yet).

Thanks

-p

Hi mate.

AFAIK the F1 will pee all over the RE series rubber, but personal taste as to if you prefer them over the S series.

FWIW I paid 90 each for the fronts (235 45 17) and 100 each for the rears (255 40 17) here in Bracknell. You must be able to get them cheaper somewhere nearby.............

I've just taken a walk over the road to Just Tyres, and they've quoted me 99 quid per wheel (incl fitting/etc) for Pirelli 6000s.. anybody got any idea what these are and how they compare?

He said it was identical tread/performance to the Eagle F1s.

Any ideas?

Agree with Bobbeh here too mate. I don't think the P6000 is a bad tyre but I've found in the past pirellis wear quick. This might give them better dry grip, but the F1's are pretty awesome in the wet, and thus win as the best allrounder which is shown in several tyres tests over the last year or two - F1's consistently top or joint top in mags like Evo.

Keep trying around, I got Humphries (chain) to match a local independant, most of the chains will price match within say a 10mile radius.............

Good luck!

I guess I should be worried then that the first thing he said to me was that they're a softer tyre and won't get the mileage of some of the "harder tyres".. I guess this is where it gets its grip from.

He quoted me 155 for Eagle F1s, which is more expensive than the quote I got from Blackcircles (http://www.blackcircles.com is where I got the prices from that are above), who have a fitting centre in Aylesbury.

Are you saying the 6000s won't be as good in the wet?

Siiigh. I don't need this.

Dammit, the stock price has slipped 20 cents, I was waiting for it to go up a fraction more so I can pay for the damn things!

Bah.

-p

According to MS Autoroute, it's 55.8 miles to Bracknell, and 1h 10 mins.. So, 111 miles, yep that's about 30 quid petrol (total not each way though), but I have to wait for it to be done and I have to get there, so it'll take a good 3-4 hours, versus being able to drop my car off somewhere and make them do it while I'm at work..

I want it done this week, don't really want to wait for a weekend (I had NO idea they were this low, if I have an accident I'm STUFFED, I'm anxious about even driving home tonight) so.. yeah, I can either lose much more than 30 quid in wages to take half a day or more off work, or .. I can pay a bit more and.. yeah.

The car handles fine and I can drive it, I've been drifting a bit lately (obviously due to tyres) but it's nothing I can't handle.. the problem is IF something goes wrong.. I don't want to be in Far's position, racing down to the scrapyard with a new set of tyres for my broken car :)

The tread is at the point in the middle of the tyre that you can barely feel the grooves that used to be there, I'm basically running on slicks (though given the fact I did 200 wet miles on the weekend and have driven through all conditions recently, it's still handled really well).

Ho hum. What to do... there's no way in hell I'd have gone to the meet yesterday, or down to Matt H's if I knew they were this low :)

Originally posted by pulse

I've just taken a walk over the road to Just Tyres, and they've quoted me 99 quid per wheel (incl fitting/etc) for Pirelli 6000s.. anybody got any idea what these are and how they compare?

He said it was identical tread/performance to the Eagle F1s.

Any ideas?

ive recently fitted p6000's to my rears at £86 each. they are ok but i found they slide a fair bit in the wet. to be honest i would have bought f1's but i knew i was going to get 18 or 19's soon so wasnt too bothered about wear rate etc

Hrm, cheers for the thoughts all.

As it turns out I can't afford tyres anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I think I'll slap some F1s on next month after payday, maybe in time for the SE meet. We'll see. There's no point messing about with rubber that may or may not do the job I want it to, I want stability, grip and performance, and the way I tend to drive means I have no choice but to pay for it, lest something worse happen.

Sigh. Roll on payday :D

-p

I got the Pirellis. They're not the best in the world I guess, but they're still pretty good. I don't want to slap some cheapo crappy ones on.. it may end up me a bit more out of pocket, but I'm selling my car honestly, I have no intention of ripping anybody off on anything.. although my car is dirty at most meets, mechanically etc it's in fantastic condition.. and I take quite a lot of pride in the car. It's my baby..

While it was getting new tyres, there were NINE people (half of them came from the cafe over the road) who came over and watched and said "oooh what a nice car".. standing there watching that, knowing I'm selling it.. god it sucks :/ I can understand how Far feels now when he sees another Supe on the road. This sucks, and I've still got mine.

I really don't want to sell it :( If I decide to go back to Australia, a new Supra will be purchased as soon as I can get one.

-p

Hi.... just something to think about for you...

If you want to drive around corners with real confidence then try to match the rears to the fronts....

Too much grip at the back end can cause understeer mid corner, and will destroy your confidence.

Save your money now, buy the nearest to the fronts and then when you have enough cash get a fully matched set for the front and rear .... you'll be far quicker that way around the corners where it counts !

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Peter Sharp

I just got a quote from Bracknell Tire and Battery for stock sizes for the GSD3's

£94 up front and £115.15 for the rear so, that's £418.30 - ALL IN

I guess you won't be needing this now T. All the best though!

Well, I went to Humphries in Bracknell and they quoted £410 all in and I got BT&B to agree ( he was not happy) at £410 too. So, I have ordered them for tomorrow.

Micheldever came in at £416 all in.

Just for you info :)