The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash lights come on when brake pressed??

Stan

Right I dunno how my fog conversion is set up but I know there is a resistor inline somewhere on each side, and it makes my inner brake lights turn on as a fog (I still get the warning light however). I did have to change a bulb the other day but apart from that haven't fiddled with the wires.

Thing is, today I took the car out, and noticed that whenever I pressed my brake pedal, my main heater control lights dimmed, and the dash bulbs turned on - as if I'd switched the headlights on

So basically if I press my brake, it acts as if I've switched my headlights on and backlights the dash (and dims the brighter bulbs)

What's going on???? :(

Right I dunno how my fog conversion is set up but I know there is a resistor inline somewhere on each side, and it makes my inner brake lights turn on as a fog (I still get the warning light however). I did have to change a bulb the other day but apart from that haven't fiddled with the wires.

Thing is, today I took the car out, and noticed that whenever I pressed my brake pedal, my main heater control lights dimmed, and the dash bulbs turned on - as if I'd switched the headlights on

So basically if I press my brake, it acts as if I've switched my headlights on and backlights the dash (and dims the brighter bulbs)

had that with my rx7 before I sold it. Never worked out why and it was intermitent - hardly ever did it but it did, meaning its not supra specific.

Sorry I cant help further

Ok, the problem here is caused by a back feed from the Brake light circuit to the side light circuit, if you can identify the sidelight feed going from the rear lights to the sidelight feed a diode will cure it. If you need help PM me and i will look up the details for you. You are effectively switching on the sidelights by using the brake light switch and this is causing the dash lights to dim to night brightness, it is caused by the rear fog mod not being done correctly.