The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cam belt grr-ness

AlexJames

sounds like your on about the idler pulley, take the tensioner out with the 2 Bolts. this then frees that pulley and it will swivvle. Then you should be able to get your belt on, it is a bit tight but it will go on once your happy put the tensioner in. Your need a vice and a small alan key to put it back on tho.

the get it done way......undo the two tensioner bolts and the wheel will back off enough to put the belt on, do them back up!

the proper way undo it completely, compress the tensioner pin and fit a thin metal pin through one side of it on through the centre pin and out through the other hole in the tensioner. Refit the tensioner and then pull the pin hand grenade sytle.

Leave the wheel on, remove the tensioner assembly (2 bolts - you might need to loosen the alternator to get at the back one). Carefully compress the tensioner in a vice until the small hole in the body just under the rubber piston seal lines up with the small hole in the piston and lock into place by using a small allen key or drill bit. Fit the belt over the crank and cam pulleys making sure the belt is tight between the crank and intake cam, then slide the belt over the tensioner pulley. Refit the tensioner and tighten the 2 bolts, then pull the locking pin out of the tensioner so it tightens the rest of the belt.

yeah the water pump is changed and all sorted, theres no probs there.. here is where the prob is...

untitlededited.jpg

I dont have a clamp big enough and small enough at the same time to push this down and then be able to move the wheel to the get tension on the timing belt propper... :s :search:

Edited by AlexJames (see edit history)

The tensioner is the circled part "B" in this pic : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=17827&d=1120675436

You can't adjust it as such, it's self adjusting. You can temporarily loosen it off by undoing the two bolt that hold it in place. The two bolts are accessed from underneath.

See also this for refitting : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=17942&d=1120869108

Edited by Jake
Add extra info (see edit history)

TDC can be detemined by the mark on your crank pulley a slot in the outer edge lining up with the a mark on the bit of plastic that hopefully you can still see on whats left of the lower cover, if you can 't see the mark you'll have to fish that plastic bit out of the bin........

TDC can be detemined by the mark on your crank pulley a slot in the outer edge lining up with the a mark on the bit of plastic that hopefully you can still see on whats left of the lower cover, if you can 't see the mark you'll have to fish that plastic bit out of the bin........

Thanks for that... I have set the timing in place now, I still have the casing that was cracked so I was able to do that.

Cheers for the guides Jake, I shall give em a read :) ta

Just tell it like i see it, if you have had a crash that has resulted in that sort of damage, and from your pic the crank pulley is damaged, and will eventually damage your ancillary belt, the sensible option would have been to take the lot off and inspect for hidden damage, and if you leave the bottom cover like it is, all it will take is a stone or debris to get into the belt run and you will be repeating the whole process again, so common sense really.

If you post wanting help and people tell you the truth, there is no point having an attitude because of it:)