The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Locking Wheel Nuts!!! (Help)

Steve W2

Okay guys, I need your pearls of wisdom again;) I have definetly lost my locking wheel nut socket and can't get the wheels off my car:confused:

This must have happened to other people before, I'm just wondering how you sorted it out?

I don't want to pay an engineering company to drill and reverse tap the wheel nuts as it will cost me a lot of money and cause me even more problems.

Also, getting a mold and another socket made woudlnt be cheap either:confused:

HELP ME!!!:p

I was thinking about trying to weld some metal to the end and using it to get them off!!

Excellent do you know where these toolsa are sold?

Its been so long since I've looked at waht type they are I cant remember if I would be able to hammer a smaller socket over them.

Will have to check. Thanks for all your responses.:)

Originally posted by Steve W2

If it saves my wheels Chris its practical enough! Out of interst how do you do it, or is it a special secret.

Do you spark electrode them out?

No, I sacrifice an impact socket and mill it accordingly. PITA, but it works and does no damage. I only mill it enough to grip, making a perfect tool would take hours and hours, so you need a new set of matching nuts and tool afterwards.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

No, I sacrifice an impact socket and mill it accordingly. PITA, but it works and does no damage. I only mill it enough to grip, making a perfect tool would take hours and hours, so you need a new set of matching nuts and tool afterwards.

Its probably about 150 miles so about 3.5 hours in my car and a tank of fuel.

How much would you charge oh kind sir?:D

Anyone know how much suitable locking wheel nuts and corresponding tools are?

Feck, just realised, do I need specifice locking wheel nuts for a J-spec?

I had the same happen to me on my old car.

Tried the socket way to no avail (probably my poor technique lol), so had to get a garage to "drill" it out instead. Charged 20 quid IIRC.... PITA though. Its made me a little more vigilant about where the locking wheel nut is kept nowadays though.

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Fook me steve, 150 miles, and it takes you 3.5 hours, Jesus man get it above 60. :p ;) :conf:

You've got to be joking, anything over 60 is dangerous:D

I just went on the stupid AA route planner doobrey! They base it on the speed limits of the roads. Although I go faster on the motorways when I can I have found the times to be there, or there abouts when you take into account the traffic.

:moo:

I also have a horrible feeling that it actually a socket that inserts into the nut in a Torx like fashion ( you know the star shaped allen keys).:confused:

When you beat a socket over the nut you are also beating hell out of the inner wheel bearing, and brinnelling the tracks. Good chance it will go rough and noisy some time soon.

SteveW2: Can you e-mail me a digi photo of a nut as it sits in the wheel? i can have a better understanding of what i am up against, as you want a price. Thanks.

Dude.. have I got some good news for ya..!! I've just bought a locking wheel nut removal tool for Volk Wheel nuts.. the one I have is a heptagon.. I don't know if thats the same..?

The company I bought it from is called Prospec Motorsport Ltd.and they are based in london. The man to speak to id Shin Inoue and his email is. [email protected] hope this helps.

Thanks for all your help guys, i will see what I can sort out. My local garage said they could probably do it but I'm concerned that they are going to damage the wheel bearings as CW suggested.

I will try getting hold of a tool from this company and go from there.

Again thanks for all your help:)