The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock or rebuild

allawyg

Hi guys

My supra needs an new engine as it seems theres compression loss and leak down,

whats the best route to take, I got a decent setup with a T88 Turbo, I wanna get around 500-550bhp.

Shall I get a semi used engine from ebay such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JDM-TOYOTA-SUPRA-2JZGTE-Engine-MANUAL-5-SPEED-swap-2JZ_W0QQitemZ260245419819QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260245419819&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

or shall I go and get a HKS built engine such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Supra-engine-2JZGTE-heavily-modified_W0QQitemZ230306564479QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230306564479&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

what do you think about getting engines from Ebay? are stock engines more reliable than a HKS built one, I want power and reliability, I know guys who spent a bombshell to get 600bhp but after 6 months their engine blows so I want it as reliable as possible.

Is it maybe better to get a brand new short block from Toyota and get the head rebuilt.

guys really need as much adivce as I can get on this, its such a big decision to make.

cheers :) :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd be happier with a new block and then have it rebuilt by someone I trust with different pistons and rods etc - too many unknowns with buying used.

If you are "only" aiming for 500 > 550bhp you would probably be a lot happier with a different turbo too, the T88 is a big of a laggy snail these days, you could have much quicker spool with something else.

Depends on the budget you have at the end of the day though.

yea I cant afford to splash out on another turbo. I like the T88 it produces a F***kin punch when it does spool. The thing is buying a new block and getting that rebuilt is gonna cost TOOOO MUCH. :) I am on a budget, so for me the options are either buy used stock, buy new stock or buy old rebuilt :)

I mean the cost of parts is fine, its the Labour costs that will murder me :)

i'd personally buy a used engine and build it :) it's impossible to say if the stock will be reliable at 550bhp as it depends on so many varibles even with built parts.

And it's probably likely you'll get used to 550bhp and want more with that turbo.

I say build it for 800bhp+ and run it under 600bhp :)

so HKS internals all the way :) is it going to run reliably? as in do people who have built engines with HKS complain about reliability issues, or is it as reliable as stock,

so many people tell me to stick with stock but I wanna hear what u guys have to say about it?

I wouldn't go with HKS just as there are plenty of other decent manufactures out there and some quite cheaper, and a very popular set up in the USA is carrillo rods and cp pistons.

I would go for Carrillo rods, cosworth/jun/tomei or the cp pistons(very good price) ferrea valves,ARP head bolts,uprated valve springs,guides,stem seals,new oil pump,maybe hks HG and acl bearings.

budget for about 3k+ on parts for a decent build and £1500+ labour I would have thought.

I've seen a few builds on here with eagle rods and JE pistons and tbh even though it's a cheaper route in my view if you came to sell the car on at a later date I wouldnt be interested even if it has a built engine as I would have felt the owner has skimpt on the engine build, all my imo course.

so a stock could handle 550bhp perfectly and reliable without blowing anything ? so theres no need to spend all the extra cash..

Im gonna sound like a bloody NEWBEEE with this question but whats the differnce between a long block and a short block :):)

A short block is just the bottom end: the block, crank, rods, pistons etc. Add the head to get a long block. The stock bottom end is generally accepted to be good for 600+. The head will be strangled by the stock cams at those levels, but you won't need any of the stuff people are talking about here, just some hotter cams.

Of course, if you _want_ to spend a tonne of extra cash, plenty of people will be happy to help you do so.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

A short block is just the bottom end: the block, crank, rods, pistons etc. Add the head to get a long block. The stock bottom end is generally accepted to be good for 600+. The head will be strangled by the stock cams at those levels, but you won't need any of the stuff people are talking about here, just some hotter cams.

Of course, if you _want_ to spend a tonne of extra cash, plenty of people will be happy to help you do so.

Any ideas on how much a brand new short block is??? :)

if he is looking for 500bhp ish he may aswell ditch the T88 and run a T61 on a stock but refreshed engine to save on costs, or just take the risk with a second hand engine.

I only put the parts i'd go for up as he was considering 4k on the HKS built one :)

Ok. do Toyota supply long blocks, cos as far as I know they only supply short blocks. how much would a new long block cost.?

what cams would you recommend I get?

Purchase a stock engine, put some 264 cams in and enjoy. Save yourself a few grand in the process.

Ive done both versions and currently run 500whp with plenty of boost to overcome the std j-spec cams. The weak points of the std engine are the rods .At the power you want your no where near that. Revs will kill your engine!

Purchase a stock engine, put some 264 cams in and enjoy. Save yourself a few grand in the process.

Ive done both versions and currently run 500whp with plenty of boost to overcome the std j-spec cams. The weak points of the std engine are the rods .At the power you want your no where near that. Revs will kill your engine!

So u reckon ill get a stock block and replace the cams and the con rods and ill be good?

So u reckon ill get a stock block and replace the cams and the con rods and ill be good?

If you get a good engine leave it well alone. Don't change the rods, shells or bearings. If your on a very tight budget don't even bother with the cams. Dont open it up at all! Mr Toyota made them well from the shop.