The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TDI in Essex selling a nice set of HKS twins

tooquicktostop

I would have thought the 2835s are getting a little old in design now?

The development of performance turbos has come on a pace. Compare the original blitz and HKS units with the latest HKS, BL or PHR and I would expect the design and performance has stepped up considerably. Start putting in dual ball bearings and its a different class all together.

HKS twins were certainly all the rage 5 years ago but single are simpler and more popular now

i guess branners is right then. they are pretty old now and there are so many better alternative. branners however would you say that for the price etc. they are totally not worth it? you cant simply bolt these turbos on, i know you do need a lot of supporting mods but the potential power in them? Isn't it a lot when you think about the money your spending?

If the footprint allows these HKS things to be replaced by a modern Garrett pair the twin set up potentially will give less lag for a similar air flow capable at X pressure single. Plumbing in two wastegates back into the main system would be a fun job though. I drove a TDI set up twin turbo MKIV at some airfield day, years ago. It was obviously far from mapped right and disappointed, but the potential is there for a stunning engine. Having just been given the bill for a single turbo manifold for a 4 cylinder engine I feel it's unfair to say the HKS kit looks expensive, but factor in two new turbos at about 800 a piece, plus wastegate plumbing and water cooling plumbing et cetera and it, err, looks very expensive... :) All you are buying is two used manifolds and two obsolete wastegates and a downpipe.

LOL! i liked this bit

"removed only to further increase the power to over 1000hp. This kit has been used only for street use (no racing) by our client who is approaching 60 years old (read that it has had an easy life) "

So if he wants 1000BHP something tells me its not had that much of an easy life;)

The whole thing just looks like BS.

As Chris says, these are old laggy turbos and though the two manifolds and intercooler pipes would be useful for someone wanting a pair of Garret GT25 or 28 DBB's, £3000 for this lot seems excessive.

I'm sure you could have a modern kit made for not much more.

They like the customer to pay for their mistakes. When faulty products are supplied, they do nothing. I dealt with them back in the 90's when they were the only major web presence of HKS I could find. Super expensive, and no backup at all. I too am amazed they are still in business. I suppose flash advertising etc must work for them.

Currently got an thread going on on LOC where they got rid of a clients standard parts without his permission and the stuff he got put on by TDi doesn't work, so he wants his standard parts back.............but TDi refuse to supply them!! :o

If you can bear to read (LONG THREADS - one poor guy has been trying to get his car sorted since 2006 and its still not done)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=32128&hl=disaster

Refuse to return parts and poor workmanship:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=54479&hl=disaster

Those are the two most recent cases of 'quality' workmanship but their have been many many others. :(

Guest Prolex-uk
Be careful, they once threatened to take me to court over honest & truthful comments made on a forum.

Call his bluff...........I did and he did nothing,

If you have evidence about what you are saying and/or witnesseses then he can do fook all.

If you are relaying hearsay then,not saying you are, then back off.

Basically he's a bully with a big chequebook .............

If you have evidence about what you are saying and/or witnesseses then he can do fook all.

This was many, many years ago on an email mailing list and I can't remember the specifics now, I just know not to use them for anything as a result of the threat.

It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, what matters is if you could afford to lose.

I drove a TDI set up twin turbo MKIV at some airfield day, years ago. It was obviously far from mapped right and disappointed, but the potential is there for a stunning engine.

That was Christians, the brakes cooked as well - to this day I remember you changing the brake fluid in about 45 seconds flat, A-Team style!

-Ian

To be fair, Christian wasn't aware that AP calipers have two bleed nipples, one on the inside pistons, and one on the outside, I seem to recall he only bled one side.... Luckily there was an escape road, albeit the marshal had to be nimble and awake ;) It had a lot of top end, at the time, but sod all elsewhere.