The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What fuel?

stinboy

Apologies if this is a horrendous bit of reposting everyone but what fuel do we use?

I have been using Tescos super unleaded (99 RON) for about 6 months and never had a problem - just assumed the higher the to fuel is to 100 the better it would be for the car.

However, mentioned this to a mate today who drives an S3 and he looked at me is if I was crazy - he never uses anything other than Shell VPower (which is 97 or 98 i think?). The argument being Tescos fuel is full of additives which are no good for your engine. Apparently this is a concensus view on the S3 owners club.

What do we reckon?

I would tend to agree, I am a shell man through and through. I am sure the Tescos stuff is fine but I don't have the same confidence in their product.

Shell garages do sell some nice sandwiches but I prefer the ones from Tescos.

I know Tesco fuel has been rated well in a lot of surveys but just not for me.

I've mapped with det cans on both Tesco 99 and on V-Power - if anything there was slightly less det on the same map around the Turbo transition point with Tesco 99 but nothing much in it really.

Tesco 99 is 97.9p / litre where I am now and I frequently get 5p a litre off vouchers with my shopping making it the same 92.9p / litre as regular unleaded. You can guess what I put in the tank of my Supra most often. Incidentally it's the fastest TT in the UK and probably Europe, dontcha know. :D Try as hard as I might, I've yet to blow it up.

Cheers,

Brian.

i read an engine/dyno test using a (i think) Cosworth engine, they tested BP, Optimax (at the time) and Tesco, despite not having the most octane Optimax (V-Power) came out top from a power point of view, the main conclusions were the way the fuel was blended and dont be blinded just by the octane figure, i have stuck with V-Power ever since and until i read another independant test i will continue to do so

i read an engine/dyno test using a (i think) Cosworth engine, they tested BP, Optimax (at the time) and Tesco, despite not having the most octane Optimax (V-Power) came out top from a power point of view, the main conclusions were the way the fuel was blended and dont be blinded just by the octane figure, i have stuck with V-Power ever since and until i read another independant test i will continue to do so

Read my thread i just restarted mate.