The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question for auto owners

supramatt

You can powerbrake by applying the brake while stationary, set the revs at around 2000rpm, then simultaneously releasing the brake and applying full throttle. Don't do this for longer than you have to as it will boil the brake fluid.

Personally, I've only done this a few times as I don't want to break my car. People that do drag racing will be able to advise you better.

James.

Originally posted by supramatt

yer chase that's what i been doing so far

so presumably it's ok to use 2 and drive without manual mode

what is the difference??

sorry for all the questions

Who said anything about reving and then putting it into 'D'??

Were you referring to JamesG's comments?

If you were he mean put it into Drive, put foot on brake, rev to 2krevs then let foot off brake and floor it.

The difference between manual and normal mode is this:

Manual mode allways stays in the gear that you select. So if you put into 'D', the car will pull off from third gear. This is the same as first and second. If you put the car into '2' auto mode, it will start in first gear then shift to second when it needs to and then stay in this gear and shift down if it needs to.

HTH

Paul.

Don't do this for longer than you have to as it will boil the brake fluid.

Its the autobox fluid you need to worry about and JamesG is right about not holding it for long while starting. If your doing a lot starts like this, look at changing the fluid more often than Toyota recomend.

I have found there is a fine line between bogging down and wheelspin, more noticeable at pod, so its best to experiment with the launch revs.

what is the best way to launch in my Auto TT?

Never had an auto before so not sure if I should be using Neutral or not.

Hi,

I don't know much about Supras (yet) but I do know a bit about autos...

The fastest way to launch is to put the box in "drive" (or "1" if you're gonna use manual mode), your left foot hard on the brake, and your right foot about 1/4 of the way down on the throttle. This should work especially well on the Supra as this should get one of the turbos spinning ready for action :) Then when you want to go you floor the throttle and sidestep the brake simultaneously. Of course, depending on your traction control this can result in a lot of smoking tyres, so try it a few times to see just how far down you need to put your right foot before launch, and how quickly you need to floor it.

As has been mentioned above, this isn't something you really want to be doing except at the drag strip, as it's usually not great for the car. You should be able to get nearly the same speed by leaving it in "Drive", holding the brake with your right foot just lightly enough to stop you creeping forwards, and then letting go and flooring the throttle when you want to go. Again, dilute to taste depending on how much traction you're getting.

Thunking the car from neutral into Drive at high revs is not a good thing.

Hope this helps!

HI guys I am new to supras I am looking to buy one could any of you tell me what to look for when buying mk4 TT it will probibly be and auto as the manuals seem to be expensive and hard to come by. I been looking on the net without luck so far, pleas help!!

Originally posted by defcom

HI guys I am new to supras I am looking to buy one could any of you tell me what to look for when buying mk4 TT it will probibly be and auto as the manuals seem to be expensive and hard to come by. I been looking on the net without luck so far, pleas help!!

Hi,

If you want an auto, I believe Dude will have my old car for sale soon. It's a decent car!

As for what you should look for, I'd use the search button!!

Paul.

Originally posted by defcom

When you selling it and you know I amd going to ask a price

Hi,

I part exed it with him for my current car. I'm not sure how much he will be asking for it.

I changed cars because I wanted to go from an auto to a manual.

Paul.

what is the best way to launch in my Auto TT?

Never had an auto before so not sure if I should be using Neutral or not.

I believe you need a Hi stall converter , Mr Ayling will be hosting a video demonstrating the easy spool advantage of this mod !!!:cool:

Dude:flame Dev

I have been wondering just what my auto box can do. So after a lot of testing i have found that for daily use leaving it in D to its own devices is the best. It handles most situations quite nicely. On motorways when anticipating a car moving over at 70-95 podge the overdrive button to switch it off and down to third then hit the accelerator for a better acceleration rate and smoother launch up to the rev limiter when you repodge the button and it changes back up.

For the best take off i find the only way to go is to apply the handbrake podge the manual button and slide it all the way back to first. Sit with the revs just at biting the handbrake will let go as soon as you put enough power in to cause much harm to the machine itself either brakes or transmission. When your lights change simultaneously apply enough power to launch without wheel spinning outrageously and drop the handbrake. The handbrake will start to give up as soon as you apply power and then its up to you to hold the thing as the power hammers in. You can then reach across to the gear lever and this is the beauty of manual mode you can hold the power on all the way to your rev limiter and manually change the gear by clicking it forward a notch without even having to take your foot off the go pedal at all. It changes smoothly into the next gears power band and you just hold on until it again nears the old rev limiter. Same drill slot it fwds into D which again puts you in the power band for that gear. This is good on mine to approx 110 ish at which point you podge the old manual button again for the overdrive gear to kick in. I find this method particularly effective at most lights especially the ones near my house that have a sharp 90 degree bend with 2 lanes going into one at the apex of the bend right in front of them.

Also manual mode makes for safer driving in the wet. There is nothing quite as scary as the box changin on you unexpectedly on that roundabout exit apex and the back just going on you. If you are allready rolling podge the manual button and click it once back into 2nd as you approach. This has two effects, if you come in fast the engine braking afforded assists you to slow down into the start of the roundabout or bend (which you just don't get in normal mode), it also then avoids the nasty surprise of it changing on you midbend like when you apply the power on the exit. (I nearly lost my car in just that way when I first had it at only 15 miles an hour) 2nd is good from standstill to 80 mph on mine.

I have an N/A and it may proove different to launch a turbo motor but i expect the principles of launching a turbo will be similar due to the fact that the tyres will still only put so much power down regardless of the power you have before they lose traction and as long as you are wheelspinning you arent going anywhere.

Originally posted by Paul R

Who said anything about reving and then putting it into 'D'??

Were you referring to JamesG's comments?

No - We posted at the same time :D

Originally posted by dangerous brain

You can then reach across to the gear lever and this is the beauty of manual mode you can hold the power on all the way to your rev limiter and manually change the gear by clicking it forward a notch without even having to take your foot off the go pedal at all

I'm sure I read elsewhere that you're supposed to come off the throttle when changing in manual mode - In Auto the power is dropped automatically while the gear change takes place.

I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by Chase

I'm sure I read elsewhere that you're supposed to come off the throttle when changing in manual mode - In Auto the power is dropped automatically while the gear change takes place.

I could be wrong though.

I've read this too - but TBH its a complete nightmare that way, I can't see how when shifting manually, the auto ecu does anything different to when it decides to shift on its own, it just does it when you tell it too????

Anyone know why?

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Cant say I have ever had a problem on gear shift in manual when keeping that peddle buried in the carpet. No horrid over-rev's so I assume it must cut the fuel auto-matically for the nano-second it takes for the box to smoothly transition up a gear for a spot more wooohoooo lol.:devil:

Same here :conf:

Think I know where I originally got this from...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9390&highlight=gear+change

Steve W's posting of the handbook scans (number 3) also states that if the box starts overheating on Manu mode it'll automatically drop back into Auto mode, so I assume this protection means you can do full throttle manual shifting...:thumbs: