The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Butterfly brace - viable for Aerotop?

AlexM

Think about a cardboard box with no lid on it. It'll lozenge and twist like crazy. Put a bottom in it 4 times thicker than standard. it'll still lozenge and twist, but less so. Put a thin lid on it and it'll be like a rock, comparatively speaking. You need a decent roll cage, not the Forth Road Bridge nailing on underneath ;) Open top cars also bow, like a banana. Again, tying the two ends together is what you need, not a banana with a thicker skin along one side.

Think about a cardboard box with no lid on it. It'll lozenge and twist like crazy. Put a bottom in it 4 times thicker than standard. it'll still lozenge and twist, but less so. Put a thin lid on it and it'll be like a rock, comparatively speaking. You need a decent roll cage, not the Forth Road Bridge nailing on underneath ;) Open top cars also bow, like a banana. Again, tying the two ends together is what you need, not a banana with a thicker skin along one side.

Ah, but does a cage exist that's suitable for a daily driver which will stiffen the chassis and not ruin the usability of the car (whilst also not blowing my insurance out of proportion)? I'm yet to find one, but open to ideas. :p

How does something like an S2000 manage to be so stiff, comparatively?

Would need to be a custom job. Honda designed the S2000 long after the Supra, and it was designed as an open top from the start, not a chopped up coupe. If you want a stock MKIV that handles you need a coupe, not an aerotop. I am sure a caged aerotop could be made to be stiffer than a stock coupe, but it would look like a refugee from the race track. A more basic and subtle cage could surely be made and not be too obtrusive, yet make a huge improvement. The people that did Wes's cage could do one, for example. (Andy Robinson Race Cars).

Nice job, very neat. A good compromise, IMO. But do people who buy aerotops worry about ultimate handling? So long as they are reasonable, which they are, even as stock, wouldn't a purist after track day performance, choose a coupe anyway?

I have a coupe for track days Chris, it was the steamy white one parked in front of your lorry at Llandow. :p

The reason for asking about the butterfly brace was because of the skuttle shake, the roads where I live are pretty poor and it's terrible - like driving some sort of vibrator. I was hoping something like that would minimise the effect without having to go for a full on cage.

I have a coupe for track days Chris, it was the steamy white one parked in front of your lorry at Llandow. :p

The reason for asking about the butterfly brace was because of the skuttle shake, the roads where I live are pretty poor and it's terrible - like driving some sort of vibrator. I was hoping something like that would minimise the effect without having to go for a full on cage.

we have the strut braces fitted front and rear and we found this reduced it to an acceptable level :D:d

Why is it bright green? Some sort of spray on sound deadening or just fancied a funky colour?

As there is a full interior going back in with bride low max seats re trimmed in bride logo and black leather,green stitching to match takata harnesses ,will trim most of the cage with bride logo,so you want see much of the interior colour.