The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Went to Snetterton today.

Pig

Was a little dissapointed, despite fantastic service (everyone was really friendly) and great organisation.

Since doing RAF Marham i have planned on getting the car ready as a "track/road car" i found myself not enjoying myself nearly as much as Marham today.

I think the reason was due to the walls at the edge of the track and also the fact that your not aloud to kick the back out.

I wonder if its also to do with the lack of supra's to race against.

I found it quite repetetive and ended up going home early as all i could do was try to take the corners quicker and didn't feel cumfortable going much harder cause of the risk involved.

I also a had a problem with understeer, i feel this is probably because of the stock uk suspension, am i correct?

Cant go as silly on a proper track as you can at an airfield;) i noticed the same at Llandow but still loved it myself.

Cant see stock uk suspension being much fun on track, even my tein superstreets are far to soft for proper fun.

Get to the next Llandow, i promise you will love it mate.

EDIT, are you still on a open wastegate John?

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Cant go as silly on a proper track as you can at an airfield;) i noticed the same at Llandow but still loved it myself.

Cant see stock uk suspension being much fun on track, even my tein superstreets are far to soft for proper fun.

Get to the next Llandow, i promise you will love it mate.

EDIT, are you still on a open wastegate John?

Might jump up to monoflex and see it that helps.

Ill be at the next Llandow, was gutted to have missed this one.

Yep, open wastegate, couldn't do a proper static test as i have 2step set to 4500. However passed that with flying colours anyway so didnt matter.

i only ran 1.4 bar as 1.6 is that bit louder. Didn't get flagged though :)

I doubt the suspension is doing you any favours Pig, you seem to wallow all over the place. Have you considered a cheap track car that you can throw around the corners without worrying? It'd probably be a lot more fun. :)

I have thought lots about a cheap track car but i dont think it would be nearly as much fun as fighting with an animal of a supra.

I think thats one of the things I liked about Marham no matter how hard you pushed the car you would have to go some to damage it there, will be nice to get some big BHP cars to the next one

Only thing with Marham is the serious stone chip damage to the front of the car i got there, (including a cracked windscreen) that will stop me from ever taking my supra there.

Only thing with Marham is the serious stone chip damage to the front of the car i got there, (including a cracked windscreen) that will stop me from ever taking my supra there.

Yer thats why alot have given up with it now I think, its a shame though one of the best experiences I had in my car

Once you get a road car on somewhere like Snetterton the geo needs change drastically. It won't have ANYTHING like enough front negative camber, front spring stiffness, and probably front ARB stiffness. You can set the car up in a compromise, but if want to lessen understeer in something like the MKIV you need to compromise on road tyre wear and drivability. Have a look at the outside edges of your front tyres, they'll probably show that they have been worn where they adjoin the tyres shoulders. The front inside edges of the tyres have probably been along for the ride in the corners.

Guest thewave

I was spectating yesterday, I've been looking for photos, and came across your thread.

Snetterton was packed, i've been up there lots, and never seen it that busy (granted i'm not usually there on weekends), several times I saw cars three abreast on the pit straight, which i've never before witnessed!!

Looked well mannered though, a few people were moaning about a chap in a boxster, he did seem a little 'aggressive'.

With respect to your car. Well, firstly sounds nice, and goes like stink. I wandered around the track and from watching at sear corner if definately looked as though you were understeering quite a bit through there and riches, i'd say decent suspension would sort that out, but it could have been something as simple as having over inflated tyres, so don't go spending loads of money straight away. Do a few hot laps then come in and check the pressures, I expect you'll be surprised.

I suspect the power you had didn't make it easy though!

There were some lovely motors out though, wish I'd taken the Cerbera out, but a heavy night beforehand made me think otherwise.

Lovely motor though, would be nice to see more Supras up there, big straights make it ideal for massive power.

Cheers.

Was a little dissapointed, despite fantastic service (everyone was really friendly) and great organisation.

Since doing RAF Marham i have planned on getting the car ready as a "track/road car" i found myself not enjoying myself nearly as much as Marham today.

I think the reason was due to the walls at the edge of the track and also the fact that your not aloud to kick the back out.

I found it quite repetetive and ended up going home early as all i could do was try to take the corners quicker and didn't feel cumfortable going much harder cause of the risk involved.

I also a had a problem with understeer, i feel this is probably because of the stock uk suspension, am i correct?

Snetterton is my current favorite track and one of the most forgiving in case you do have an off, what walls? Personally I hate airfield days, bit mickey mouse but they serve a purpose, letting you discover what your car does without the risk of hitting anything. Race circuits wont like it if you drive hanging the back out on purpose everywhere, go and do a drift day if thats what you want to do :)

Sounds like to me you need to get your car more setup for the track so you can enjoy it a bit more, dont know how you can drive a car with that power with stock suspension, you must be mad :Pling:

Understeer can be caused by a lot of things, not just the dampers itself but the geometry as well. Then you have tyre pressures, aero, etc. to think about. First thing for you would be to get some decent dampers on there. What you go for depends on your pocket, what you want from the car and where you want to mainly use the car.

Ta

That's disgusting Pig, why so little? :(

I find serious power can be very unfriendly on the road.

I have a nice car to drive around in so dont use the supra unless it is for something special.... a waste really. Seeing as how hard I drive it, it prob a good job i dont do many miles.

Since having the full spray i couldnt bear taking on marham again. (Shame because it one of my favorite days)

Didnt get a single chip @ snetterton.

Once you get a road car on somewhere like Snetterton the geo needs change drastically. It won't have ANYTHING like enough front negative camber, front spring stiffness, and probably front ARB stiffness. You can set the car up in a compromise, but if want to lessen understeer in something like the MKIV you need to compromise on road tyre wear and drivability. Have a look at the outside edges of your front tyres, they'll probably show that they have been worn where they adjoin the tyres shoulders. The front inside edges of the tyres have probably been along for the ride in the corners.

I think there was a zeus there, thought of you. My god its fast round the bends.

I found my n/s/f had major wear issues which is part of the reason i stopped so early, lots of balls of rubber showing major signs of understeer. Out side edge didnt look happy either.

Would appreciate your advise when i put up a help thread on suspension soon if you wouldnt mind please.

I was spectating yesterday, I've been looking for photos, and came across your thread.

Snetterton was packed, i've been up there lots, and never seen it that busy (granted i'm not usually there on weekends), several times I saw cars three abreast on the pit straight, which i've never before witnessed!!

Looked well mannered though, a few people were moaning about a chap in a boxster, he did seem a little 'aggressive'.

With respect to your car. Well, firstly sounds nice, and goes like stink. I wandered around the track and from watching at sear corner if definately looked as though you were understeering quite a bit through there and riches, i'd say decent suspension would sort that out, but it could have been something as simple as having over inflated tyres, so don't go spending loads of money straight away. Do a few hot laps then come in and check the pressures, I expect you'll be surprised.

I suspect the power you had didn't make it easy though!

There were some lovely motors out though, wish I'd taken the Cerbera out, but a heavy night beforehand made me think otherwise.

Lovely motor though, would be nice to see more Supras up there, big straights make it ideal for massive power.

Cheers.

I check my pressure's the day before and was running 34 psi, didnt cross my mind about the heat raising pressure.

Did you get any pics of my motor car?

I thought the porsche was ok TBH. Not as polite as others but was bloody quick round the bends!

Snetterton`s a cracking little circuit isn`t it, i bet you had understeer on the left hander before the pit straight, like chris said you can make the front end grip better with some negative camber but the uk kit certainly won`t be helping

No, wasnt as bad that there as on the top right corner the second right after the straight, would have been better getting round it with the back out but didnt want to get in trouble!

Sounds like you had fun though Jon? I'll be seeing you soon then?

Time to talk, winter is here and i need to set a budget.

Maintance needed too :)

Snetterton is my current favorite track and one of the most forgiving in case you do have an off, what walls? Personally I hate airfield days, bit mickey mouse but they serve a purpose, letting you discover what your car does without the risk of hitting anything. Race circuits wont like it if you drive hanging the back out on purpose everywhere, go and do a drift day if thats what you want to do :)

Sounds like to me you need to get your car more setup for the track so you can enjoy it a bit more, dont know how you can drive a car with that power with stock suspension, you must be mad :Pling:

Understeer can be caused by a lot of things, not just the dampers itself but the geometry as well. Then you have tyre pressures, aero, etc. to think about. First thing for you would be to get some decent dampers on there. What you go for depends on your pocket, what you want from the car and where you want to mainly use the car.

Ta

Hanging the back out is my idea as great fun as you might have worked out after marham. I didnt have a prob with not being able to drive like that as it was clear from the outset it wasnt aloud.

I would be too scared of crashing on a drift day. Will prob do some santa pod type ones first.

Not nice to know the walls were along way away as i thought the were really close.:play:

Totally agree running stock suspension is mad after yesterday, really made it clear its time to change.

Please can you also offer your advise on suspension when my thread goes up.

Also a question, what oil temp are your boys cars running? As i was getting to 125 and then slowing for a while as there was smoke on gear change and if i hit the rev limit.

Grey or white smoke, i assume grey.

Wow, crazy long set of replies. thanks for all the feedback

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

Tyre temps really wouldn't have helped. I need to drop at least 4psi from mine at the track, IIRC I shed 8psi (which is all replaced by the heat effect) at the 'Ring on a Sunny day when everything is boiling.

I was getting comfy and familiar enough with my car at Llandow to be able to tell how hot the tyres were just from how the car was handling. :)

120 degrees is when you want to start worrying, how many laps did it take you to get to 125? And what were your water temps? I now run to big coolers on my own car, 8500rpm and 850bhp takes some cooling! I'm still seeing 120 degrees though, going to work on some proper ducted coolers over the winter, amongst over things.

Suspension wise, just depends on how deep your pockets are really. You can go for budget stuff from £500 up to £3000 a corner! You pay for what you get like most things. Let me know what your after, PM me if you like.

Ta

Is it not just old suspension?

Geometry has a huge effect on handling, and for reasons I have never understood the Supra has incredibly adjustable geometry, you can make it under steer like a barge or you can have it trying to swap ends by just lifting off in a sweeper. Mine is set so it's as neutral as possible but to hell with the tyre wear and have no problems taking corners faster than my friends Westfield.

Proper race suspension is horrible on the road, you wince with mechanical sypathy everytime you crash over bumps or holes, no matter how small, it's also figity and just unpleasent.

Guest thewave

Sorry, didn't get any photos of your car. Most of my shots came out blurred anyway, hence I was searching forums for more.

If I come across any, i'll let you know.

120 degrees is when you want to start worrying, how many laps did it take you to get to 125? And what were your water temps? I now run to big coolers on my own car, 8500rpm and 850bhp takes some cooling! I'm still seeing 120 degrees though, going to work on some proper ducted coolers over the winter, amongst over things.

Suspension wise, just depends on how deep your pockets are really. You can go for budget stuff from £500 up to £3000 a corner! You pay for what you get like most things. Let me know what your after, PM me if you like.

Ta

I peaked 137 @ marham! I think it will be worth re-locating the oil cooler to the other side (the sirens are now gone) as on the off side the I/C pipe is in the way.

What oil cooler are you running?

500 - 3000 A CORNER! Holy shit, i didnt realise it would be that much... i was expecting to spec about 1k on suspension + labour and bushes etc.

I peaked 137 @ marham! I think it will be worth re-locating the oil cooler to the other side (the sirens are now gone) as on the off side the I/C pipe is in the way.

What oil cooler are you running?

500 - 3000 A CORNER! Holy $#@!, i didnt realise it would be that much... i was expecting to spec about 1k on suspension + labour and bushes etc.

You'll need something bigger, probably 2, one each side to make it idiot proof. Ben Weeks car now runs 2x 34 row oil coolers. Do it once do it properly.

I mean, anything from £500 for cheapo coil overs up to £3000 a shock for the top line stuff. For about £1800 + VAT you can get some really nice stuff. Just depends on what you really want to do with the car. For most people a set of Tein or HKS will do the job. Bushes are something else, you can go for Ikeya Formula rose jointed arms, if not just replace with new stock arms, makes a big difference.