The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Bulletproff?

Ali C

I have been looking for a supra and have been swaided towards a turbo simply because its far cheaper on the insurance. Im just wanting to hear from you all how reliable has your sup been, common faults and what to look out for? :blink:

Had mine nearly two years with no problems the tt6 is a dream to drive.:)

the n/a supra was working out nearly £1000 dearer than the twin turbo...? Dont ask that just seems to be the way it is?

Something not right there, the insurance company must be comparing a UK TT (very rare, most in the UK are J-spec TT's) with a J-spec NA. This is the only way a turbo Supra would be cheaper to insure

Common faults are the same as with any car the same age as a supra. Suspension will most likely need attention due to worn bushes and joints, valve stem seals if its not been done and is rather high milage? Crank pully failure seems to be quite popular. It all depends on how its been looked after.

The most common fault on my car has been the fuel pump. My advice is to NOT do the '12v fuel pump mod' which reminds me, I still need to source a new fuel pump ecu...

I honestly dunno.. i orginally wanted to go for a N/A but ever comany i have tryed it has ben more expensive than a turbo, so turbo it is?!

As has already been mentioned a couple of times : UK turbos (which are rare) tend to be cheaper to insure than NAs because all NAs are imports. Import turbos (which most are) are more expensive to insure than NAs.

It is likely you are comparing quotes on UK TTs to import NAs and there are not that many UK TTs for sale. Don't make the mistake of getting quotes on a UK TT and then buying an import TT - the insurance will not be what you expect.

thats because your in Northern ireland, when i lived there my insurance was through the roof, i mean it was stupidly high, i remember my first car was a bog standard 1.1 106 and the cheapest i could get was the NFU and they were still looking £2000 for an 18year old male. Try elephant, they have been the cheapest for me for over 4years and their quotes for me in NI where pretty competitive aswell.

As for reliability, i've only had my supra since the summer and it only had 50k on it but the only things thast i've noticed needing attention is the alignment, the rear hatch rubbers, the headlights, sticky caliper and coil pack connetors which i still need to order yet. However these things will most likely afflict any car of this age, infact it would probably be more apparent if it were a ford or a crappy vauxhall that was half the age of the sup.

Back to the reliability question, I had mine 4 years (50,000 miles) and it was very reliable. They are all old cars now so parts will need replacing and you will want to do mods... you will. Don't expect a cheap to run car, but do expect real value for money

Sounds good, as the car ill be dear to buy maintiance was my real concern!

Sounds good, as the car ill be dear to buy maintiance was my real concern!

Whether it's expensive to maintain really depends on your own circumstances. I don't mod mine at all, and I do consider it a cheap car to run - servicing is not that expensive, and I'm old enough that insurance is reasonable. However, if I was 20 years younger, I'd probably have a different point of view.

Im mainly thinking of the car in long term hence asking about maintiance as i dont want huge bills at ever survice!

What do you consider "huge"?

Without digging through my records I'm not sure what mine has been costing. I'd guess a major service was around £250 and the minor ones were probably £100-150 I think. Might be wrong though.

Obviously it depends a lot on who you get to service it.

What do you consider "huge"?

Without digging through my records I'm not sure what mine has been costing. I'd guess a major service was around £250 and the minor ones were probably £100-150 I think. Might be wrong though.

Obviously it depends a lot on who you get to service it.

If thats what they are costing then thats fine, seems around average to me! cheers by the way