The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought another car... the supra has a sibling

Mike B

I've been lookig for an estate since my ex and I split a while ago as I do a lot of outdoor stuff. Was thinking of something practical, then started looking at a little more money to get something a little more comfortable. Did a bit of research, drove some oil burners, and then put a deposit on the new family member this morning.

I present to you, the Commendant!

A prime 6 speed 540i sport (4.4 v8) E39. 65000 miles and so clean you'd think it was a new car. Unreal how much you get for your money these days. This must have been 35-40k 6 years ago.. crazy!

The funny thing is that the car is supposed to be 280hp/440lb and it's at least 1/4 the speed of the supra. When test driving it I burst out laughing the first time I gunned it :)

till it's stupidly comfortable, the antithesis of the supra, Good combo.

any guesses on the price?

looking forward to seeing if it will do the 32mpg they say it wil on the motorway... I had 20-25 in mind...

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

I know what you mean about the speed, i was looking to get the saloon version of this and took 2 different ones out for a test drive - i wasn't impressed, i was expecting more from the 4.4 V8 with 280bhp.

Must be the weight and because it's smooth that it feels slow. Book times for these aren't bad.

lol... yes I'm about to enter the world of pain, waiting at junctions for 20 minutes because everyone hates me!

I heard on the grape vine (well top gear actually) that all the "BM" drivers are selling up and buying Audi's... so that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :p

The price? £6200 which I thought was a bargain. This thing is beyond mint.. had a look at a few and I can't tell it's been used aside the numbers on the odo., and it has every gadget known to man! I'll be happy enough just tinkering with all the buttons :D

Now I need a set of cheap 18" BM wheels and I can pop my spare slicks on it and the Mrs can bring it down to Marham with the Sup in April... lol see if she can get round the twisties infront of the evo's :sly:

I doubt it.. it's comfy but I seriously doubt the power figures. PH members tell me that these things do 30 to the gallon, most economical of the petrols on fuel... but I'm not holding my breath and not looking forward to the road tax renewal... :blink:

but hey... I'm now 35 and desrve a bit of luxury :p

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/

Best place for rims mate, probly best to stick to non staggered on the estate

Get on BMW5 was a good forum i used when i owned mine

Thanks dude, appreciated,, good resources. Good thing about this car is that there is not a lot you can do to it, although I dd ear that a few people have strapped chargers to them!

Nice car, i know what you mean about the speed, i took my M3 to BMW to get checked out as i was sure there was something wrong with it, turns out its perfect but just slow compared to the supe:d 26.2 mpg is nice though.

lol... I was expecting a lot more power low down, but you have to rev them.... there is nothing, less than sup below 2k.. was the monaro a low rpm puller?

nice buy dude

thanks bud,

PH members tell me that these things do 30 to the gallon, most economical of the petrols on fuel... but I'm not holding my breath

Good job, you'll be dead if you did before you saw anywhere near 30mpg on average.

My brother had the saloon version, and was lucky to see anymore then 20mpg.

Drinkers they are indeed.

Nice cars though.