The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra owner questions

splurge

Afternoon all,

Just wanted to introduce myself - I'm just about (90% sure) to buy an imported facelift '96 Supra TT, but wondered if I could hassle you guys for a bit of advice that I haven't been able to find elsewhere...

1. Where the heck do you guys get insurance? I'm 26 and can get a superb quote for £600 for a UK Supra from Elephant, but they don't want to cover an import at all :-(

2. How far can you go in a Supra on one tank of petrol? Assuming you drive it like a sports car should be driven, that is :-)

3. ...and what sort of petrol will I need to put in it?

4. How much does it cost to service the thing?

5. Where's the best place to get a lush white/cream leather interior?

6. Anyone want to buy a '98 XJ8 4.0? This is my current drive, and its servicing prices are what have finally persuaded me to come over to the Toyota camp!

I reckon the Supra is the car I always wanted, but only recently found out existed: fast, but still comfortable; spacious, but not too big; great looking, but with power to go with it...

Sorry to be a pain asking all these questions straight away. I'll try to contribute more as time goes on.

Anyway, cheers for any advice! Sweet...

Splurgey

Hi and welcome to the boards :)

1, Shop about, I think a few people use Liverpool and Victoria, Bell ddirect etc.

2, 300 miles ('spritely' useage - on a UK tank), 350 being economical ;)

3, Shell Optimax, higher the RON figure the better. :thumbs:

4, depends where you go (different Toyota dealers, who services it - Toyota or perfomance workshops etc), but its not bad at all, just keep it topped up with fresh oil and you should be problem free :) 60k miles is a the big service... but as I'm yet to get there I cant comment.

5, Other than stock toyota stuff I dont know :) (others will)

6, Nice car :)

Hope this helps. :)

1. I'm with Elephant on my import, 840 quid, full no claims, 28. You have to ring them for an import quote, can't do it online.

2. Most driving in the rush hour, I get 15-18mpg, or 22+ on a run, my Jspec will do about 220-250 before needing a refill, but thats not right to the bottom, usually stil 10l in there.

Originally posted by splurge

1. Where the heck do you guys get insurance? I'm 26 and can get a superb quote for £600 for a UK Supra from Elephant, but they don't want to cover an import at all :-(

5. Where's the best place to get a lush white/cream leather interior?

1. Privilege Insurance 0845 246 8553

5. See Re-upholstering Group buy and My New Seats

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for all the useful information. Based on this, I'm gonna go ahead and buy the Supra just as soon as I can sell my car. Sweet! :D

I'll let you know the best insurance deal I find, just for the record.

Thanks again.

Splurge

Soon-to-be-'96-TT-owner :)

Having been in a 400BHP+ Supra I have made an informed estimation, which is what it says on the sale spec.

The car is 330BHP as std, the decat and exhaust should be good for around 30-35HP as far as I'm aware, The car reaches fuel cut now so its at least building 1.1 bar.

Originally posted by jagman

you are swapping a jag for a supra? are you nuts? :eek: just have both:p

Actually, I suggested that to the missus, but she wasn't too keen on the idea :(

Still, if you're interested in a bargain XJ8, let me know!

Now I'm just waiting for quotes from the insurance companies... wish they'd get on with it so I can buy the frickin' car.

Originally posted by 400BHP

Ask Geezabloke about Jaguars, especially ones that think they can have it on the A13 at night, then get blown out of the water, more than once.

Three times if I recall correctly..... serious 0wnage

if this is the time i recall (coming back from southend meet)... then yes, that jag got pissed all over very badly. xjr i believe someone mentioned ... :innocent: :p