The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flocked the dash

Mike M

After seeing some folk going to great lengths to trim their dash panels in velour stuff I decided to have a go with a Flock kit and sort out my dash before I sell the car.

I seen these kits on frost.co.uk and they are available in a few colours.

All you get is some special coloured glue and a bag of nylon fluff (Flock) that gets everywhere. I've still to let the panels dry off for 24hours but here are a few pics anyway.

Take one previously painted dash panel and cover in glue,

This is the panel coated in glue, you have to make sure the glue is everywhere you want it otherwise you end up with bald bits. The glue worked fine over the rubber coating too with no reactions.

You then coat the glue with flock using a squeeze bottle(supplied with the kit) that puffs out the flock.

Few more panels:-

I had to do the ashtray again as i'd made a total hash of it but luckily it hadnt dried properly so I could pick it all off easily and start again.

Oh and you can scoop up all the excess flock from the newspaper and re-use it.

I havent done the top panel yet above the dials, i'll see how it looks first as it's painted shiny black and might be abit too much being flock. I'll find out tomorrow though.

One worry I have is how durable the finish is but there's not much I can do about that apart from giving it some time.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike M (see edit history)

Cheers, It'll be going back in sometime tomorrow. Its a messy job and i've had to go over thin areas again but its been not too bad. Theres still the nagging, what have I done, going on in my head type thing LOL.

Heres the website that supplied the kit.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9441&frostProductName=Flock+Colour+Kit+DarkGreen&catID=21&subCatID=&FrostCat=InteriorTrim&FrostSubcat=

Mike

Is one kit enough to do the full set of panels?

I reckon I've just got enough left to do the top panel if I'm going to but yeah as long as you carefully sweep up the excess as much as possible then one kit should be fine. You can buy extra flock if needed.

Yeah, seen it on the rally cars before then seen somebody had done it to their entire scooby dash.

i've got all the panels sitting under the radiator the now drying off LOL. Dunno whether to go and fit my stainless dials too, they've only been sitting in the drawer for over a year.:rolleyes:

A good hoover should sort it hopefully, waiting on my bro coming up with his road angel so I can set the speedo then clip everything back into place. I decided to go for it and fit the new dials last night.

Might have to leave pics till tomorrow, these early dark nights.:(