The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coming soon: camera setup in my Supra

SteveR

After having a look at bignum's camera setup (described here) I've decided I'm going to do something very similar to my Supra over the Winter. I'd like to be able to record my exploits on track, I reckon apart from being a nice momento from each thrashing session I could learn from watching the video back, too.

Any tips for kit/installation? Any camera/recorder/vision mixer/power convertor recommendations or good value places to buy from? :)

I'll document the process - maybe write up as a 'how to' if there is enough interest? - as I intend to keep all the wires (and cameras) as low key/hidden and tidy as possible.

Is there going to be a 'face cam' for when you scare yourself silly? :p

Gah Kate is sat here watching me type, so she'll now learn that I'm planning on putting a (scared) passenger face cam in place. ;)

EDIT - she now says she won't go in the car ever again! :D

Well Well stevey baby, just so happens im doing this to mine tomorrow, ive got a 80gig HD recorder (ebay about £50).

Anyways its going to dispaly the picture's using a 4 way switcher but this is a special switcher that allows it to show picture in picture mode (just like Bignums).

Camera wise ive got 3 very small CCD camera's and they are 420TVL again ebay.

cable needs to be screaned coax and 3 core for power and audio if required.

Im going to power it all from a 12v power supply that plugs into a power convertor as its 240v, you can use 12v off the car but its very noisy and will cause lines on the pictures and look nasty, All this setup without fitting will cost around £300 ish.

You know what I'd like? A front camera setup with a GPS speed overlay. Madness, I hear you say? Not really, as you only record when you want to - primarily when police cars (sans blues) and scamera vans whistle past you over the speed limit. Then we can post the recordings on youtube and write to plod and the council asking them why they are allowed to do it, thus causing those frickers no end of hassle :D

-Ian

You know what I'd like? A front camera setup with a GPS speed overlay. Madness, I hear you say? Not really, as you only record when you want to - primarily when police cars (sans blues) and scamera vans whistle past you over the speed limit. Then we can post the recordings on youtube and write to plod and the council asking them why they are allowed to do it, thus causing those frickers no end of hassle :D

-Ian

I wouldn't mind the option to have speed, but maybe even all the ju-ju stuff they have overlayed when you see motorsport on TV, e.g. throttle/brake position, (G?).

Very nice, just got off the phone with RaceLogic :D

£1400 +vat for the unit

£2000 +vat with two cameras

£2700 +vat with two cameras and can data input

The performance box which is similar without the video input starts around £280 ;)

Jesus wept. I was expecting around £1000 mark. Not paying £2350 for a car-camera setup. That's nuts, irrelevant of how nice it is.

• 3 months later...
Loved how hes managed toinstall a camera inside the interior lighting case on the roof.

I think Si's is inside his rear view mirror; he Dremmeld it into 2 pieces then glued it back together. Little num went for the interior light/roof lining and I think that's what I'd like to do, too. I'll take pics, of course. My biggest worry i being able to get at all that bit (and running the wires to it) without knackering the roof lining.

Edited by SteveR
typo correction (see edit history)

OK I just bought this power invertor (changes a DC 12v input to an AC ~240V output) from Maplins.

http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/a17fg.jpg

It's usually £40 but is on sale at just £25 until 17th Feb, and has free delivery until tomorrow I think, if anyway wants to grab one quick.

Link if you want one

Bignum recommended the 150W version saying that woudl have enough oomph, but the 300W is actually cheaper for the time being and will have that extra performance headroom -or- the option for me to end up plugging extra stuff into it at a later date.

The invertor performs 2 useful functions:

- removes noise caused by the alternator

- the power adaptors for the various components (camera(s), recorder, vision mixer...) don't all have the same voltage requirements, but 240V AC to convertors are cheaper than the 12V to down convertors.

...I also have the option of plugging other stuff into it whilst out & about; e.g. a laptop for editing.

This model has automatic alarm and shutdown in case of:

- overloading

- over temperature

- low battery

Job's a good un! :)

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

I just knocked up a basic diagram showing what I've got planned both now, and the faded-out stuff will be added later.

P.V.R. = personal video recorder. Solid state memory with MPEG/AVI/MP4 format, USB connector to pull files off to laptop -> Home PC -> Youtube

Key:

green = power

red = video signal

blue = later date

I need to add a mic somewhere, not sure whether to stick it in the engine bay for max single turbo noises, or in the cabin to hear what the occupants are talking about. ;)

In-car-camera-setup.jpg

How large are the cameras you are intending on using Steve?

Teeny tiny - the front facing one will be put inside the headlining bulge above the rear view mirror.

It won't be broadcast quality (480lines I think), but they're the same one big/little num have been using and they are fine for the purpose.

Do you think one could be mounted inside the surround for the steering column (to view the dials), or are they not the right shape?

I'd go for the internal mic by the way, bound to be much more entertaining - and you can still hear the single inside I'm sure. ;)