The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good morning

toppo67

Hello to everyone, i'm new to all of this and don't really know what i'm doing (the missus says no change there then lol). I have a 95 jspec n/a which i bought a couple of weeks ago, after a few teathing problems which i think i've now sorted, i would now like to try and get some more power out of her. I'm not a wealthy man so would like to do this as cheaply as possible. That doesn't mean i want to cut corners, but, can't afford to go to silly. The car was totally standard, i have put an after market air filter on her, don't know the name but it's a cone shape( that probably really helps). Also put a HKS exhaust on her, sounds really good. Bought some 18's off LBM (thanks to him) so she looks better. just bought a vader kit which will go on next week. Just need some sensible mods for the big lump under the bonnet, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated. I would also like to come to some of the events that you guys and girls seem to have so much fun at, and with xmas coming up it would be a good excuse for a p**s up. Thanks for looking at my thread and i hope to meet up with a few of you soon. Cheers toppo67 by the way the name is Steve :p

media 1.jpg

Photo-0068.jpg

Photo-0076.jpg

Edited by toppo67 (see edit history)

that's very nice supra you have there. :thumbs:

But here's the bad news, it is very difficult, especially on a small budget to get any more power out of the n/a engine if you do a search on it you will find countless threads on the subject.

My advice to you would be if your craving more power either get a TT conversion done on your n/a or try and buy a TT.

Welcome to the club - nice example you've got there. Especially like the new wheels! :)

I wouldn't bother with the vader kit (veilside clone isn't it? has been done to death on Supras and just looks naff now IMO) as I much prefer the stock lines, maybe with just some OEM skirts and rear spats. Also the OEM rear upper spoiler is nice but very rare.

Mods wise I'd also ditch the cone filter as you'll likely be sapping power unless you have built a cold air box around it. Other than that you've already done the exhaust so not really any good gains to be had out of an n/a - just be happy with it, it's reasonably fast and will be extremely reliable.

If you really want more power the best route is the TT conversion if you're really fond of keeping your existing Supra for whatever reason, otherwise sell up and buy a TT as most tend to do after owning an n/a for a while.

Cheers,

Brian.

Nice looking car steve:) As has been said you wont get much out the engine and you're best getting back to stock as for as the air filter is concerned. One engine mod you could do is to get yourself one of nics (import pimp on here) manifolds. He normally need 3 people to do the production but there have been a couple around if you searcdh the for sale section. Im sure a couple will still be up for grabs:)

Other than that though I would concerntrate on handling and breaking. This will allow you to corner etc at higher speeds (taking it safe still mind;)) and allow you therefore to go "faster".

Other than that though I would concerntrate on handling and breaking. This will allow you to corner etc at higher speeds (taking it safe still mind;)) and allow you therefore to go "faster".

Good point imo.

Hoff what would you try improve handling wise on an N/A? - Presumably you would suggest UK breaks if it was a Jap import?

Good point imo.

Hoff what would you try improve handling wise on an N/A? - Presumably you would suggest UK breaks if it was a Jap import?

Im not really the best person to ask advice really, not compared to chris wilson. A good suspension set up, which someone else can advise better on, is a good start. There is loads of info on here regarding that but basically good coilovers, springs, bushes etc. Yes UK brakes will also be good as you can carry more speed on approach to corners etc.

Sorry, I know that wasn't much help:d

welcome along mate, i to own an N/A as stated above the best thign you can do is improve other area's of the car unless you want to start spending serious cash on the engine. I have recently uprated the disks and brakes on all 4 corners to give me more stopping power, have also got Tein coilovers fitted to adjust the rideheight and shock on each corner.

You would be best making sure the car gets lots of ice cool air for a sharper throttle responce rather than an aftermarket filter sat right next to a baking warm engine..

You can uprate these lumps to a single turbo conversion but its not to everyones taste and its a long expensive road I have been advised when I was enquiring myself!

The best advice would be to make it your own, enjoy an awesome drivine experience the supra gives and if in the future you really do want more power, either drop in a TT lump or sell up and buy a TT.

The na isnt slow though and im sure you will still be able to have tons of fun in it :)

Good point imo.

To optimise the handling and braking I would do the following

1. Get car on a ramp and all the suspension components checked for wear, replace with new OEM parts as needed.

2. Set of Bilstein dampers and lower springs or set of decent quality coilovers.

3. Fit larger 4pot/2pot Supra brakes, braided brake lines, good quality pads, decent fluid and brace for the brake master cylinder.

4. A decent quality set of tyres.

5. Get geometry and alignment checked and adjusted.

If you do all these it will feel like a completely different car.

Just to reiterate what has already been said, there is not a lot of extra power you can (cheaply) get out of the NA 2JZGE, exhaust, decat pipe and tubular exhaust manifold (pics below of the one I manufacture and sell) is about the limit.

Also a full service and new oxygen sensors will ensure you're getting the best out of the engine, plus should help with the mpg's.

I would then as said spend the money optimising the handling and braking.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8473/p1030161sa4.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1831/p1030162uk1.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7632/dsc00305dl3.jpg http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1491/dsc00313hh4.jpg http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1738/dsc00307xs0.jpg http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3957/dsc00312gm4.jpg