The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I knew the Supe drank fuel, but...

TTRickeh

I just ran out of fuel!

The fuel light was on, was going to go up to tesco (about a mile away) to get some because i'd driven about 10 miles, and pick up a few things while I was there, plus think of all the lovely clubcard points for fuel. Went to set off at a set of traffic lights, and felt like I was in 'Snow' mode (anyone with facelift TC will know!). Could barely move.

It didn't dawn on me instantly, saying to myself 'Oh christ what's wrong with it now', but I quickly pulled into a Lidl car park and realised what was going on. I turned off the ignition, and pondered my options as I was less than 5 mins walk from my house, could've easily just walked home.

If anyone knows where the Lidl on King Street is, you'll probably know there's a Shell garage almost directly bloody opposite. I tried to start her up again to see if I could limp over there, it idled for a quick second then just died.

So off I go, into Shell...buy a Jerry can, and outside all by myself at the pump, with my car almost visible across the road, felt like such a dafty.

First time i've ever ran out of fuel, said to the attendant 'Never been for petrol without my car before...' chuckle chuckle. Back 2 minutes later to put 65 quid's worth of V-Power in.

That's my excitement for today.

Odd. I've travelled some 20 miles with my light on orange before. Not out of choice I'll add, but at Marseille. If you've ever been there you'll know it is really not the place you want to break down in the middle of the night, especially not in the Supra!! Some right dodgy areas around there. To say I was concerned at finding a petrol station was a slight understatement.

At least you were close to a petrol station! Count this as a lucky escape!

Yeah that and I managed to pull off the main road before totally running out! I'd hate to break down in the middle of the road and get in the way.

I guess a couple of cold starts and maybe more spritired driving meant I ran out more quickly, plus i've reset the ECU recently maybe it's running more rich til it learns to be itself again?

I can drive my wee 1.2L Ibiza on the light for bloody ages :D

My orange light comes on just below the 1/4 tank mark

Same as mine. Coming back from Suprapod my light came on quite a way from home. Doing a nice steady 55 for the last 30 mins or so meant I made it back, and pulling into my local Shell garage, with the needle just hovering above the 'E'.

I was very nervous when the needle actually dropped below the empty line. Not something I'd like to attempt again :)

I once drove my old N/A with the fuel light on...

I was coming back from Camberley, I got onto the M3 and about 15 miles from Basingstoke, my fuel light came on...oh no!

I literally ran out of fuel as I pulled up to the petrol pump at the petrol station in Hatchwarren, Basingstoke!

Well timed eh?! :blink:

I did this on Wednesday on the way back from London, knew it was getting low as the light had started coming on but was several miles of motorway before I could get on to the A21 and to the first petrol station.

Got to the petrol station to find it had run out of petrol :rolleyes:

Drove round for about 10-15 minutes looking for a petrol station until the needle was well below empty and I chickened out. Ended up calling a taxi to go to the nearest petrol station. Didn't have a jerry can either so ended up £8.50 for a jerry can, £12 for the taxi and £6 for petrol. Expensive bloody trip!

I did this on Wednesday on the way back from London, knew it was getting low as the light had started coming on but was several miles of motorway before I could get on to the A21 and to the first petrol station.

Got to the petrol station to find it had run out of petrol :rolleyes:

Drove round for about 10-15 minutes looking for a petrol station until the needle was well below empty and I chickened out. Ended up calling a taxi to go to the nearest petrol station. Didn't have a jerry can either so ended up £8.50 for a jerry can, £12 for the taxi and £6 for petrol. Expensive bloody trip!

Was it a gold plated jerry can? lol. Mine cost £5.80

Have never yet run the Supe below the first line above empty for two reasons.

a) I live in the middle of nowhere and my nearest V-Power garage is 11 miles away so I don't like to tempt faith and try to keep it topped right up.

b) I don't really want to drag all the crap from bottom of the tank through the injection system.

PS: Have officially owned the Supra 1 year today.

My orange light comes on just below the 1/4 tank mark so i don't trust it one bit :)

Me too... it gets half way down the 'E' before it starts to lunge - as I get after a spirited drive up to Boro.

Great use of the word 'dafty' by the way:d

I think Blackie should add this to the 'bring back' list :innocent:

Not normally a problem on a Supra with a plastic tank, nearly all them I've seen have been clean :)

Now I didn't know that, thank you. Still think I won't take the chances to run out tho lol.

Could just see the thread "Typical Woman Driver runs out of Fuel" :rlol:

Hahaha! bloody hilarious! Exactly the same happened to me yesterday. I was in slow traffic going up a hill, the car was running on sheer willpower..however it gave up and died, much to the despair of the 20 or so cars behind me! ended up running 200yrs up the road with my jerry can..got the baby going again the returned a minute later....used to get 30 odd miles out of it previously, had it tuned by thor and it goes like stink but now when the light comes on Ive got to find a petrol station as soon as!! lol.

Rick, i once ran out of fuel in the middle of Union street! (it was in my first car, a wee corsa, not the supra) at rush hour! It was rather embarrassing getting out the car and trying to push it through a bus lane into Crown street by myself. :D

i was only 17 at the time and since then i have made a point of never running out of fuel again. :)

While were on the subject my Dad ran out of diesel in his A3 the other week and i had to go rescue him in the supe.