The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheels

pulse

Hey all,

My steering wheel is in desperate need of a re trim, which I'm having done as part of Millhouse's group buy.

I have a choice of leather and/or alcantara in practically any colours. I have a stock looking dashboard, no aftermarket guages, and I was just wondering what people think would look best on the wheel?

Should I go for all black leather again, return it to stock, or would something else look nicer? Or maybe a combination leather + alcantara, in different colours? Maybe grey and black..

I don't know.

Opinions anybody?

Thanks

-p

I've got one of these:

http://www.mpaconsultancy.co.uk/supra/steeringwheel.jpg

which I'm having refurbed to look like this:

http://www.mpaconsultancy.co.uk/supra/trdsteeringwheel.jpg

Black leather and silver perforated leather - also having the Supra logo in the centre removed (covered).

How are you having the Supra logo covered?

That's a similar design/colours to what I was thinking when I suggested grey and black above :)

Who was it that bought the TRD wheel off Envy? Did they ever post any pictures of it in their car?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

How much do you drive the car? I had an alcantara steering wheel and it wore out really really fast- especially when you take it to garages and they have dirty hands etc. If it's your everyday car I'd recommend full leather. Any plans for the interior in the future? Could start it from here?

No real interior plans for this one, with current plans I'll probably be moving back to Australia around June to September-ish, so there's not much point in doing it really.. not on this car, anyway. My NEXT Supra, though.. :)

This is my only car, and so it's driven almost daily (I walk to work when I'm not feeling really lazy). I've done about 8k miles since I bought it in July (though there are 2 x 1500+ mile weekends in that, Amsterdam trips and whatnot).

The steering wheel desperately needs refurbing (I wouldn't even know if there's any leather left on most of it) though, and the refurb isn't really costing anything to have done, so I may as well go for it :)

Alcantara is a nice idea, but I too suspect it won't be long until it's knackered. Especially if I were to get a colour other than black, it'd end up black in a very short time.

So, I think it'll all be leather, now I have to decide on colours.. and I think (stereo /dvd/screen etc aside) it'll be the only non-standard item inside the car, and probably stay that way..

I'm leaning a bit more towards the stock black leather look, but tempted to have something similar to what Mark described above.

Hmm.. what should I do? :)

-p

Thanks Livvy,

Is that all leather then? I wonder if I can get a similar perforated look silver leather for mine.. Hrm.

I do like that colour scheme though - do you have any pictures from 'further away'? Hard to explain, but I guess taken from outside the door or from the back seat or something :)

Thanks

-p

Originally posted by Matt B

I want one of these in Black/Silver but am not sure about getting it fitted with the airbag and all that.???:confused:

Who fitted yours Livvy?

Hi Matt,

Fitted it myself - had to wire in the plug from my old airbag as they were different but I beleive they are really designed for "facelift" and later cars so the airbag should just plug straight in. Would have been a 5 minute job but with the modification ended up taking a massive 10 minutes!

PJ

Originally posted by pulse

Thanks Livvy,

Is that all leather then? I wonder if I can get a similar perforated look silver leather for mine.. Hrm.

I do like that colour scheme though - do you have any pictures from 'further away'? Hard to explain, but I guess taken from outside the door or from the back seat or something :)

Thanks

-p

Yep - all leather. I'll take a pic from outside the car at the weekend and post it up.

PJ