The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Car wont start! - Urgent help needed

marbleapple

HI Guys,

Was meant to have my car in a garage 20 minutes ago but she won't start.

She has been sitting for about 5 days and when I got into her I turned the key to start the engine, and for the briefest mili-second I thought she'd turn over and then all the power went (including the alarm light). She did not try turn over.

I opened the bonnet, wiggled the wires to the battery to make sure they were not loose and noticed the light for the alarm was on again. I then tried to start her and exactly the same happened again.

I am now stuck with an unlocked car that won't start but if you try do anything (i.e. open the door) the alarm will go off (so i'm guessing the battery isn't flat).

Can anyone give suggestions?

I thought it would be the battery too but it was a new one less than 2 months ago.

shouldnt go that quickly. Might be the starter motor has failed. It tends to do the same thing then, but it would still let you lock the car properly if that was the case.

Jump start would be my first place to start (or a portable starter pack if you cant get a car close to yours). If it doesnt fix the problem then try putting the car in to gear and rocking it back and forth, some times that frees up a starter motor.

shouldnt go that quickly. Might be the starter motor has failed. It tends to do the same thing then, but it would still let you lock the car properly if that was the case.

Jump start would be my first place to start (or a portable starter pack if you cant get a car close to yours). If it doesnt fix the problem then try putting the car in to gear and rocking it back and forth, some times that frees up a starter motor.

Daft but could the starter motor have frozen? Its cold where I am

might be the earth connection to your battery, I had these same issues with mine, had to keep wiggling the earth connection whilst the missus turned the key. I ended up replacing the main earth wire and no problems since.

If you wiggle the cable you may hear a click, which should be your immobilser or something related to it, then try the key again, combined with setting and unsetting the alarm.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies this morning. There were of great help.

I managed to jump start the car (after buying some leads) and she is now fine. Strangely this is the 2nd time in 2 months that the battery has gone flat, even thought he battery is no more than a few months old.

I have 2 theories at the moment:

1. There is a drain on the battery.... No idea what though other than the alarm but one would presume that they wouldn't suck too much power.... any ideas?

2. (Thanks Razza) one of the connectors to the battery has seen better days and is slightly twisted. Whilst it is reasonably firm to the battery I just wonder if the battery is not charging as it should as a direct result. I am looking to try get this changed this week.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies this morning. There were of great help.

I managed to jump start the car (after buying some leads) and she is now fine. Strangely this is the 2nd time in 2 months that the battery has gone flat, even thought he battery is no more than a few months old.

I have 2 theories at the moment:

1. There is a drain on the battery.... No idea what though other than the alarm but one would presume that they wouldn't suck too much power.... any ideas?

2. (Thanks Razza) one of the connectors to the battery has seen better days and is slightly twisted. Whilst it is reasonably firm to the battery I just wonder if the battery is not charging as it should as a direct result. I am looking to try get this changed this week.

check your door lock light is not permantly on, that is the usual culprit;)