The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust query...

scooby_doo_do

Why don't you remove whatever exhaust you have on now (from the cat replacement pipe back), and start it up and see how it sounds?

Can't see it would hurt to run it like this for a couple of minutes and it should give you a good indication of what you may be letting yourself in for............

I ran like this for a year or so, I was about to spend £600 on an HKS exhaust because I wanted something louder than the setup I had. Then I though "WTF? If I want it loud what do I need an exhaust for?" It's pretty loud, Matt H measured it and I forget the exhaust figure, about 130db revving to about 3000rpm.

What I did was just unbolt the silencer section and go for a quick spin like that. If you think it's OK (I did) get a custom exhaust plce to make you up a "backbox replacement pipe" which follows the same run as your silencer . . . but without the silencer :D

Theres two or three Mk3's running the same setup now, none of us have ever been stopped by the police or had any hassle. I used to do 70+ miles a day in the car and didn't get fed up with it, I'd just turn the stereo up a couple of notches if the drone got annoying.

I built my current exhaust with a quick release clamp just behind the backbox so I can go from "very slightly silenced" to unsilenced in about thirty seconds ;)

The garage had my car running without the rear section and I was suprised that it wasn't as loud as I'd expected. It sounded really good blipping the throttle, really deep and basey, no idea how loud it would be actually driving though.

Originally posted by Elliot

I remember reading that anything over 90 decibels can lead to permanent hearing damage so 130 decibels must be bloody loud (and dangerous for the ears)!

How loud was it inside the car?

I'm one of the other mkiii's running the 'my turbos the only silencer' exhaust, its perfectly liveable with, I can still hear the stock radio perfectly (no not turned up flat out either).

My exhaust cost me £60 (full stainless) and sounds better than any £600 Nur ;) :D

You go left at the roundabout, follow that road through the one car section, take a right at the T, then first left (Stright ahead is a dead end) then a right again and it brings you out on the next roundabout, it doesnt make alot of difference but if its solid traffic due to the lights at the red lion pub you can save a bit.

I dont find that strangely, although yesterday I was help up by some coffin dodger as I went through the old town. I had to overtake them on the way up the hill after the width restriction! You can get stuck on that roundabout by the school as well which isnt fun... My excuse is I've only started driving that route regularly since we moved to Berko in December :)

I paid £100 for a pipe from powerflow and the quality was utter shite, steer well clear of those cowboys. In my opinion (even though he's a mate of mine!) the best exhaust welding I've ever seen was the TIG stuff that nick (NWS25) did for me last year . . . I can't see the joins and I know where to look for em!

Originally posted by NWS25

I'm one of the other mkiii's running the 'my turbos the only silencer' exhaust, its perfectly liveable with, I can still hear the stock radio perfectly (no not turned up flat out either).

My exhaust cost me £60 (full stainless) and sounds better than any £600 Nur ;) :D

Hehe does anyone with a mkiv have this set up?? I think im gonna do it im intrigued :p

Id sure i would prefer this opposed to my standard exhaust. Ned to be louder than my mates Suburu impreza P1 :sly:

So i just need to get cat replacement pipes and a long pipe from there onward right? :cool:

If worst comes to the worst il stick my orignal exhaust back on until i order a Blitz Nur or an RSR.

P.s people tend to say its going to sound Tin'y like nova loud :conf: (that worries me) :( if thats the case plz warn moi

and do you recommend anyone that can do a good job around the london area? Iv read its best to steer clear of powerflow.

regards