The mkiv Supra Owners Club

why do we NEVER see supras on top gear

Guest daz 6576

Guest daz 6576

dont you all think we should see some supras on top gear.

you never see any, and i think it would be good to see some single turbo supras beating the super cars they keep putting on the show.

would like to here some of your views

I think Clarkson once referred to them as "...a 2nd Division footballer's car" and that was possibly before the Premier League- although he may have been on about the MK111, in which case...

I had 2 of them btw.

The other reason is that Clarkson is a knob, who cant drive and shits himself every time he drives something with decent power, usually resulting in a spin.

I think he's got a bit of an idea.

Imagine him in a BPU Supra??.....

Umm...getting bored?

Do not let the fact that Clarkson is intelligent and a good TV presenter mask the fact he cant drive.

I think his BMW sponsorship deal has long since cost him any taste or appreciation of cars tbh!

And don't let a tv entertainment programme such as...Top Gear, mask the fact that sometimes he spins, and sometimes he even loses control.

Whilst he may not be The Stig or Lewis Hamilton, I wouldn't say- he can't drive.

Clarkson seems to me to be competent enough to drive fast cars around on the track. He gets the back end out and isn't afraid to give it some. Why do you keep saying 'he can't drive'? What do you mean by that exactly?

The Supra has been on Top Gear in the past, but as people have said it's way too old now to be relevant to the current format

Ok dont get me wrong guys the supra is a good car but to think its going to go round that track faster than some of the stuff they have on there is pure fantasy! You would have to thow a lot of money at it and what for? Is it going to make people with more money than sense buy one? No, is it going to entertain the viewer? No.

The only time I can see them using one is in there buy a car for X amount of cash but then they normally stear clear of Jap stuff as its too "boring" (ie it wont break down and make poor TV)

Going back to the statement that 'Clarkson can't drive'

You only have to look at the lap times from the star in the reasonably priced car and you have all the evidence you need. If he could drive he'd be faster than the people that come on the show, minus the F1 drivers of course. A monkey could hang the back end of a Nissan Micra out on an empty runway!

You only have to look at the lap times from the star in the reasonably priced car and you have all the evidence you need. If he could drive he'd be faster than the people that come on the show, minus the F1 drivers of course. A monkey could hang the back end of a Nissan Micra out on an empty runway!

;)

A 80s hairstyled middle aged public schoolboy doth not maketh a good driver.

No doubt if you had to physically run round the TG circuit with either:

1) a monkey on your back or

2) a Clarkson

I wonder which would be the fastest lap?

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

Exactly, Clarkson = Knob...:D

Remember his test in the Jun Super Lemon up at Crail? He was frightened witless. :)

Good...:D

Ok, maybe Clarkson can 'drive' a high powered car that cant jusify the money it costs to buy it...

However, I just dont see how Clarkson can be on the wage that he is on and knows absoultely nothing mechanical or technical about how a car works...:rolleyes:

I mean, if you asked Clarkson to tell you the Four stroke petrol and diesel cycle, he would have no idea!

For someone who drives normally aspirated engines, Turbo'd engines and supercharged engines, you would of thought that he would have at least an idea...:blink:

Exactly, Clarkson = Knob...:D

However, I just dont see how Clarkson can be on the wage that he is on and knows absoultely nothing mechanical or technical about how a car works...:rolleyes:

I mean, if you asked Clarkson to tell you the Four stroke petrol and diesel cycle, he would have no idea!

For someone who drives normally aspirated engines, Turbo'd engines and supercharged engines, you would of thought that he would have at least an idea...:blink:

It's simple dear boy :)

It just wouldn't be TG, it would come across more like The Open University- Yawn.

Week 1) How a 4 stroke engine works...

week 2) How a 4 stroke engine works...

week 8) How a 4 stroke....you get the idea.

Many engineers as bright as they are, would just be awfully dull doing a piece to camera. What they would say (too technical) how they say it (in a monotonous & dreary voice)

Clarkson's writing is particularly good in a page turning and humorous kind of way- and it comes across on camera very well IMHO :D

I do know of somebody who lives in the same village as he does and has frequently had drinks in the local pub with him.

My friend is a racing driver (although not a famous one ), and as an experienced racing driver he knows a lot about cars.... and he once told me about Clarkson. He told me that he knew MUCH more than what he lets on.

The idea of the Top Gear show is to try and be on a level playing field with the AVERAGE public viewer. Therefore all the techy geeky stuff about cars is brushed over with intentional ignorance.

So he will give out the effect that they are gooning around only giving out information which the average public viewer would be interested in.

And I think it has worked a treat. Top Gear is one of the most viewed shows on british TV. The 'new' format which now gives a more 'lounge discussion' approach to the latest happenings in the car world has been a big success.

5th gear tried to immitate it with a 'cafe discussion' approach from the ace cafe. (But the presenters on that show just do not work).

But it is no lie that Clarkson can drive and he does know about the motors he drives.

The apparent lack of knowledge and 'know how' is a put on show he does for Top Gear to keep himself comparable to the average viewer. (Same goes for the rest of the TG presenter team). And this also allows the show to add comedy factor to its features.

I do know of somebody who lives in the same village as he does and has frequently had drinks in the local pub with him.

My friend is a racing driver (although not a famous one ), and as an experienced racing driver he knows a lot about cars.... and he once told me about Clarkson. He told me that he knew MUCH more than what he lets on.

The idea of the Top Gear show is to try and be on a level playing field with the AVERAGE public viewer. Therefore all the techy geeky stuff about cars is brushed over with intentional ignorance.

So he will give out the effect that they are gooning around only giving out information which the average public viewer would be interested in.

And I think it has worked a treat. Top Gear is one of the most viewed shows on british TV. The 'new' format which now gives a more 'lounge discussion' approach to the latest happenings in the car world has been a big success.

5th gear tried to immitate it with a 'cafe discussion' approach from the ace cafe. (But the presenters on that show just do not work).

But it is no lie that Clarkson can drive and he does know about the motors he drives.

The apparent lack of knowledge and 'know how' is a put on show he does for Top Gear to keep himself comparable to the average viewer. (Same goes for the rest of the TG presenter team). And this also allows the show to add comedy factor to its features.

You see- that's what I was going to say :D