The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting the right set-up.

tony1

Hi guys, I have a UK spec twin turbo which at the moment is completely stock. I am looking to do full BPU and once that’s done in the New Year take a trip to AFR and find out what the next level is. I’m aiming between 450 - 500bhp.

I have ordered a set of 3G GR-20 discs front and back and braided lines.

The first thing I’m trying to find out is which pads you recommend with these. I was originally looking at the Porterfield’s pads on Whifbitz but no one on here ever seems to mention them. Money is not an issue as I would rather pay the extra if it means they are worth it and what brake fluid you would reccomend. 4Dot or 5.1

Secondly, I’m after a full exhaust system. Again money is not an issue as I only plan on buying one exhaust system so I want to get the right set up.

I would like a manifold but after reading some older threads it does not seem too easy to get one for UK Spec. Also I want to do a double de-cat but I was wondering if the cats have o2 sensor in them or not.

One more thing, I already have a Du-luck rear diffuser which I plan on putting on so the exhaust system has to work with that as well.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

Tony

Edited by tony1 (see edit history)

I'm running all-but 400bhp on a UK with just decats and an exhaust. That's at 1bar. They should run 1.2-1.4bar and I have water injection to go on too, the results should be interesting. Still, 450bhp is a bit hopeful.

If you mean exhaust manifolds then you can't replace them unless you go single or aftermarket twin.

As for exhausts, they're all pretty good really. I run a Blitz and love the sound of it but it is quite loud. It also hangs very low even on standard suspension and can be a pain on speed bumps.

Thank you all. I appreciate your inputs.

Could anyone advise which pads would work best with the 3G GR-20 discs front and back? Also my neighbour who is going to be fitting the brakes said to make sure I get Dot4 brake fluid but in the technical reference it says to use DOT 5.1

Thanks again

Tony

Use DOT 5.1.

As for pads, depends really on your driving style and whether you intend to just do fast road driving or track work?

Sorry, should of stated that. I only use the car evenings and weekends, so tends to get driven quite hard. I will also be doing the odd track day aswell in the new year.

It might be worth checking the condition of your intercooler as well before going BPU.

I have a Blitz Nur Spec R and i personally think they give a lovely sound!

As for brake pads im not too sure to be honest but like it says above have a look at Jamie P's thread etc.

Hi Tony,

Nice meeting you last week, nice car you have there.

Ive not heard of them disc's before but if money is not an issue and you want the best go with the big brembo monoblock kit, amazing brakes.

After bpu ther aint much worth doing imo untill you go single, if you want a ride in mine give me a shout.

Jamie.

Intercooler is a very good point, I did replace mine with a good low mileage one as my standard UK one was shot to pieces. If money is no object, get in on the list for the latest batch of Chris Wilson ones as they're excellent, fit where the standard one goes and will support the power you want easily.

Hi tony, i read you might be doing trackdays next year, if so you will need to make sure the exhaust you get cant be too loud as you will fail the noise limits, i have a HKS slient high power, but its not silent so i have had to purchase a baffle to help with noise limits, most of the tracks do a 95 - 98 db's so not very loud really, also if you go single again noise will be a big issue, i also have a UK manual full BPU with meth and water injection i run mine at 1.3 using a blitz icolour boost controller, this is really the max on UK turbo's unless you wish to blow them up, my brother has a uk car and has gone single, t67 i think but he's had to buy a new exhaust system due to track noise limits, its called a tanabe and sounds perfect. Hope you get all the parts you need and hope to see you on a trackday shortly.

Hi little num, I hadn't really thought to much about noise level but now you mention it I do remember my friend telling me about it a while back. He's got a Porsche carrera 4 and he's been on at me about doing a track day so in the New Year once the weather is better I may have to give it ago.

You mentioned 'Tanabe'. I was looking at them on envy but there is about 4 or 5 to choose from and I do not know which one to go for. I definitely want that deep throaty sound but maintain a sensible level of noise with max performance. Would you recommend any one in particular?

Thanks Tony

Brake pads - if you want the best, I would recommend the new carbon composite Endless MX-72 pads (replacement for the CC-X)

Exhaust - If money is no object, I would choose a GReddy Ti-R titanium exhaust, they only weigh 5kg and not too noisy.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9612/016ew5.jpg http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4830/017zh8.jpg http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3695/018qu8.jpg

If I can help with prices, just let me know.