The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active spoiler Manual overide device

Guest Garfy

Hi all,

I am considering applying for hobbyist membership as I have developed a product which might be of interest to members.

so, what is it? well its a box of tricks that allows the active spoiler to be deployed whenever YOU want, and not at the toyota decided 60mph, it works using the standard spoiler switch pressing "Auto Off" will raise the spoiler and pressing "down" will deploy it, it uses all the cars original wiring (so no new wires are required to be run to the spoiler) and its all 100% reversable as none of the cars loom is cut or removed.

Please note that the spoiler will no longer be automatic, and will not deploy on its own at 60mph.

At pressent there is only one variation of this device, which is designed to fit into cars that have the spoiler already, along with the spoiler ecu etc, but I am willing to develop other versions, such as, for those of you that want to fit a spoiler to a car that doesn't already have one, making your life much much easier, and another for those of you that dont have the original switch.

I've so far fitted one of these devices to AndrewOW's car (many thanks andrew for allowing me to use your car as the test bed), he is very happy with it, and I'm pleased as it allowed me to be 100% sure it was going to work. please see this link http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...=159237&page=2

At the moment I'm not really ready to be suppling this as a fit yourself installation, but again if there is enough interest I'll work on that to.

Whats the Price I hear you say, well, I'm thinking £50 fitted for the standard version, if I develop a fit yourself version I would think that would be priced around £30 + postage and any other versions will be around those prices.

Please post your thoughts and questions, I'm more than happy to help

Many thanks

Garath

PS: I've spoken to Homer who has given authorisation for this thread

Edited by Garfy (see edit history)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in this, the fit it yourself version as obviously I live no where near you. What's in the kit?

does your car already have the spoiler?

then the kit would be a box containing the electronics with labled wires coming from it, and full instructions of how to install it.

Basically you need to unplug the spoiler ECU (found behind the stereo) then 5 of the wires from my box plug into the connector that used to plug into the ECU, you also unplug the connector from the back of the switch, then connect 3 of the wires from my box into the back of the switch, and you need to find a live and an earth for it aswell, I would also provide two jumper wires to go from the old switch plug and the back of the switch so that the switch back lights still work, does that make any sense at all? :)

Garfy no chance of knocking up a nice loom for all us guys with the spoiler and switch but no wiring loom ? I know there is a diagram but i'm feeling lazy ;)

Hi Jay, yes that will be one of the options available

Hi Garfy.

I would definately be interested in this, Im UK and would like the control this would give me.

Where abouts in east Sussex are you?

Bob.

I'm near eastbourne

then the kit would be a box containing the electronics with labled wires coming from it, and full instructions of how to install it.

Basically you need to unplug the spoiler ECU (found behind the stereo) then 5 of the wires from my box plug into the connector that used to plug into the ECU, you also unplug the connector from the back of the switch, then connect 3 of the wires from my box into the back of the switch, and you need to find a live and an earth for it aswell, I would also provide two jumper wires to go from the old switch plug and the back of the switch so that the switch back lights still work, does that make any sense at all? :)

A bit! So your wires basically just extend the loom but only a few selected wires? Is that about right? ish? :)

I'm not too up to speed on my electrics, is it easy enough to find a live to fit in?

Got your PM btw. Might be interested, but my spoiler isn't even working right now.

My Active Spoiler is in Manual mode permanently and this was rewired without any gizmos. :innocent:

thats interesting, I'd like to know how thats been done, are you 100% sure no additional parts were fitted?

no sure buddy, was done by a car electrician 5 yrs ago. think it may be something to do with the pink speed wire that goes to the active spoiler ECU being disconnected if I remember correctly.

it would take more than that, it knows when the engine is running as it also recieves a signal from the alternator

thats interesting, I'd like to know how thats been done, are you 100% sure no additional parts were fitted?

I would be interested too now that I have seen this thread.

Yup, no additional parts fitted as far as I know and can see (when the dash was out).

FYI: I use the spoiler switch to manually lower or raise it so it is functional.

You know what, I've just had a look at the wiring diagram, he may have cut the pink wire from the odo, and the wire from the alternator, that way I dont think it will know the engine is running.

bugger, that might have buggered it, lol

well, I started developing this device because my car didn't have the loom, so I guess people in that situation will still be interested, and those that dont want to damage the cars original loom

Edited by Garfy (see edit history)

I'd love to have a look

more than welcome to come over and "have a look", if you are a car electrician, then I could get you to work on my car too...there are a few things that I would like to get sorted... :D

deal is: you get to work on my car and have a look for FREE :D