The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hybrid turbos - what are they worth

_Shane_

just like the exra security of hybrids

Say again?! What sort of "exra security" (sic) are you expecting - security of a higher likelihood of them blowing their guts out? Higher security of your engine being lunched?

A known good set of stockers is worth far more than hybrids IMO.

I think that hybrids if built properly in the first place, are far less likely to cause any problems at higher boost/power levels, after all that is what they are/should be built for, i think there is a lot of different ideas on the definition of there construction, and suspect that there are some out there that are no more than J specs with steel exhaust turbines, which IMO are not real hybrids;)

For a while there were too many hybrids out there that were poorly built.

IMO, this has ruined the reputation of hybrid turbos.

I had a strong set that I bought from IanC a few years ago and they were fantastic. Never missed a beat. I sold them on abouat a year or more ago, but they were far better than stockers and utterly reliable.

That comment at me Scott ? I will be posting whatever milage is up on them, aint got

nothing to hide, if they sell they sell if not they sit in storage :D

Na just a general comment. Its strange that with normal turbo's the lower the mileage the better. But having a good few miles on a set of hybrids might mean they are one of the better sets IYSWIM.

Might be interested anyway, still need to get the finger out and diagnose my 2nd turbo problem lol.

this continuing argument about hybrids - isnt it like any thing, if you crank up the boost and drive the nuts out your car they wil blow same as any jspec or hybrid turbo? if you look after them they wil do you justice. think some people have a strange false security thinking hybrids mean they can push the limits miles beyond there capability but any thing wil go with that attitude?