The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£15k for something other than a Supra but What?

jassi_hayre

I'm getting the 7 year itch - thats how long I've had my MKIV NA and now feel its time for a change. I have thought about a TT but want to try something else.

I know this is a Supra forum but if you had £15k and wanted something other than a Supra what would you go for?

My criteria is -

Must have at least 270bhp,

Must be reliable as it will be a daily driver

Have reasonable running costs

Sit more than two,

have some sort of boot,

Look good / be different / uncommon (not keen hot hatches)

£15k is max budget

My shortlist at present is

1. E46 M3 (a bit common)

2. Masserati 3200 (running costs and reliability)

3. 996 (not sure I can get a good one at this price)

4. P1 Impreza (Running costs and feels cheap)

Thanks

Jas

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For my money I would look at a 996 as well and now is the time to strike a deal as there are a lot of people struggling to shift high end motors at the moment.

If however you cant get a decent 996, how about 3.2 Boxter? I know is the 'poor mans' porsche but having had one for a few weeks they are brilliant to drive.

To be honest, if I was looking to get out of the Supra I cant think of anything other than a Porsche that I would want!

£15K might be a little low for a 996 - it must be the absolute bottom of the market for them (if not a bit below). I suspect that if you did find one, it's likely to be one that hasn't been looked after and the running costs / cost to sort it would probably outweigh any saving you made when buying it.

Put it this way, north of Watford M3s dont seem to attract the same kiddy/scum attention that an R33 GTR does.

My mate has recently bought an R33 GTR and he cant believe the attention he gets in it. People have driven past it hanging out of windows taking photos of it etc.

He is also terrified to leave it outside of his house and parks the car every night at his parents house outside of town and then uses public transport to get home!!

Me personally, I'd worry less on a day to day basis owning an M3 than I would any R33 or 34 GTR.

The reasons for criteria are

1. 270+bhp: My NA supposedly has 225 and want something faster. (Before you say it yes BHP is not only factor in how fast a car goes but its a good indicator for road cars).

2. Reliability: Its going to be driven every day. Cant be done with something that cant start or breaks down every so often - My mate has Tuscan which is always in garage for some sort of repairs.

3. Running Costs: Could by a classic super car but dont want to spend my entire time and spare cash maintaining one.

4. Sit more than two: I take my twins (3 year olds) out in Supra as they can get in back when other half has taken family car out.

5. Boot: I use my car for work so may need to chuck a PC / monitor in boot occasionally. Might sound strange but I use my supra to do weekly shop occasionally (although stuff does end up on back seats).

6. Looks: I want something different or not so common. The supra still gets nods from people at petrol stations etc. Some people ask me what it is because they've not seen one before.

7. 15k: Basically thats all I have (taken the last seven years to get there too!).

I'm likely to keep the NA for track use and use this as a daily tourer.

As for recommendations:

Boxster: its a 2 seater.

996: Like some have said at 15k it's not likely to be a good one. I guess I could wait 6 months to see if prices come down any further.

GS430: Is this the big lexus? I want something fast but also fun and agile.

S4 / RS4 / RS6: Possibly, but in motoring reviews they always seem to come second to the M3

Evo: Not thought about this one. How would it compare to a P1. Would either be good as daily drivers (usually described as not good for daily long distance use)?

Someone at work has just mentioned a XKR!

I'm open to suggestions so keep them coming.

Thanks

Jas

Torque is where the real power is.

Get an oil burner, have it remapped to its max with a decent clutch and you will have an excellent run around. Save the sup for the weekends etc.

Just get a leon cupra/FR, have it remapped and be done with it lol. I know you don't fancy the hot hatch so just get a non-hatch equivalent.

If one of your criteria is boot, doesn't that rule out the 996 too? I've never looked that closely at one - but at least my 964 has pretty pathetic boot space.

I think 996s have some space behind the rear seats - but I think the only place you'd get a monitor is on the back seats?

e39 M5 would be my choice. you'll get an absolute minter for 15k now.

Beat me to it. Saw this thread and was about to say that. You'll get an ok one for about £10-12,000 so £15k should get your choice of M5's. Amazing spec, 400bhp, V8, BMW, subtle but only to those not in the know..

Only downside - I vaguely recall reading that fuel figures are around 12mpg...

Beat me to it. Saw this thread and was about to say that. You'll get an ok one for about £10-12,000 so £15k should get your choice of M5's. Amazing spec, 400bhp, V8, BMW, subtle but only to those not in the know..

Only downside - I vaguely recall reading that fuel figures are around 12mpg...

they're not that bad if driven normally, especially as they gave it a 6th gear, you'll get the guts of 20 out of it. Plus i think Bird's will chip it to 440hp or something similar, with the torque curve of a vanos equipped v8 and that hp i would say it would be more than a match for a bpu supra but plod wouldn't look twice at you.