The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much petrol?

Patrick_Devlin

Was running on fumes today with the needle bouncing onto of the "E" on the guage. Its the lowest its ever been as I usually fill up quite soon after the light comes on. I must have driven nearly 30 miles on it and still only put 65 litres in it when I filled up today.

How much petrol is usually in the tank when the orange light comes on?

Originally posted by Patrick_Devlin

How much petrol is usually in the tank when the orange light comes on?

The J spec tank is 70L, UK is an oversized :innocent: 80L

My light used to come on and I could get 58L in. Since my pump change it now comes on after 53L. Bit of a pain really as I used to fill up on the light but now run it for longer. Worst I've done is put just over 68L in - GULP.

Originally posted by Bradb

U definately can do 30 miles from the point the orange light comes on.. At a craw. I know cos i got collared on the road from London to Brighton.. where its v.gei and theres no services.

Do you mean the M23 Brad? Theres a services where the M23 becomes the A23, called pease pottage and its a shell....!:p

Originally posted by 400BHP

Thats correct, if you let the tank go below 1/8th then you run the risk of sucking up water, yes water thats contained in the fuel and the other shit at the bottom of the tank.

(water sinks as it has a higher specific gravity than petrol)

If the water sinks, wouldn't you suck it up all the time as the feed is from the bottom is it not?

I thought there was a big discussion about sludge in the bottom of the petrol tank a little while ago and it was debunked as a myth.

I thought its bottom feed too, besides, with all the engineering gone into the Supra I think they might have accounted for the above.

On a seperate note, I have been filling my car up with BP Ultimate recently, although more expensive than optimax I do seem to be getting better mileage:conf:

Haven't done the calcsd to see if the extra 20-30 miles per tank is worth it or not but.......:conf:

Where are we saying the water is coming from? Condensation in the pump?

Mixed with the fuel? I wouldnt think so. If its condensation, can you imagine the concentartion of a few droplets of water when mixed with 75 litres of petrol, cant see that being a problem?

I am gei (specially for you Brad) though and am probably wrong.

Originally posted by NWS25

Because the supra is well engineered you dont get sludge or water in the tank ?? mmmmm........

Next time your at the petrol station, ask them how much their allowance is for for water in the storage tanks........

Fuckin loads!

The fuel tank has a small sump like pressing usually and the water lays in this part, and the pickup for the fuel is normally not right at the bottom, if you were to completely run out of fuel, take the tank off and empty it upside down, you would find there is at least 3 litres of liquid still left in it.

Originally posted by afennell

Bit off topic but how many miles do people get to a full tank on a 6 speed tt?

Filled mine up this morning and it took just under 61 litres, and the light had been on for a couple of miles.

I have got the Warlbro and the FSE plus a few other little things running 1.2 bar, and I have managed to get 500 miles out of 3 tank fulls!!

Ben..

P.S. I'm fat (so everyone tells me) and therefore have an extremely heavy right foot!