The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with Choosing my first Supra

Guest AFOD2000

Guest AFOD2000

Hi everyone!

After two years of driving around in a Nova and a Citreon AX I have decided to treat myself to something sportier.

Having decided on a Supra I have registered on this site to ask you all for advice on which car to pick, any things to be wary off and just general advice on choosing a good example.

I have a budget of around 5k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My names Adam, I'm 30 and from Derby. Many thanks!

Well its a big step up from a nova or a AX to a TT.

I went from a clio to a NA manual and had great fun! I would try and find one of those if i was you. Turbo is great fun. but you dont want to put it in a tree in the winter when it catches you out (and it will) and for 5k your looking at a pre facelift auto TT and i dont imagine it will be in amazing nick.

On the other hand i sold my 98 facelift NA 5 speed for 5.5k with bull bodykit etc. So you probably have a good chance of getting a nice NA manual for that money.

Guest AFOD2000

Yea I have been told by a couple of people that if you aren't used to such a powerfull car if it will be in a hedge before I know it!

To be honest I hear where there coming from. What BHP does the n/a give out?

I must admit I leaning towards the Non turbo to begin with then maybe ugrading.

Adam, welcome for starters. You have a 5k budget but have you considered the Supes running costs - a bit different to a Nova

Just a thought mate

What this guy said, look at the thread on tyres at the moment, or the one on lack of confidence. Tyres are not cheap for this car, and neither are many of the other things that are needed.

Hey, welcome along!

I recently went from a Corsa B 1.6 GSI to an import N/A Auto. Im very happy, its not as fast as the twin turbo, but compared to a smaller sized car its a complete diferent world of a driving experience. You mention you have a budget of 5k, you can pick up a very clean N/A for around the £3,500 IF you shop about.

My advice would be, take your time and find the right car for you, and definately consider things such as brakes, tires etc.. cos these cars are not cheap on some parts, BUT they deffo make up for it with the sheer enjoyment they bring from driving em'

Guest SUP_R_G

ive owned my supra for 1 week now and its great fun. its an n/a but love it all the same.

when i checked it out i just done the usual checks and also what my gutt said, sounds silly but the couple i looked at before buying this one rung alarm bells.

Hey, welcome along!

I recently went from a Corsa B 1.6 GSI to an import N/A Auto. Im very happy, its not as fast as the twin turbo, but compared to a smaller sized car its a complete diferent world of a driving experience. You mention you have a budget of 5k, you can pick up a very clean N/A for around the £3,500 IF you shop about.

My advice would be, take your time and find the right car for you, and definately consider things such as brakes, tires etc.. cos these cars are not cheap on some parts, BUT they deffo make up for it with the sheer enjoyment they bring from driving em'

A friend of mine just sold a 1996 facelift manual n/a in good nick for £3k...plenty of bargains around