The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you put standard speaker covers back on?

marbleapple

Hi all,

I recently bought some standard speaker covers from a member on here and it may sound daft but I am having trouble fitting them.

My door car still has the ‘ring’ (in which the cover sits) attached to the door card but the new speaker covers have the ring attached to that instead.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can either remove the old ring and attach the new cover with the new ring or attach the new cover to the old ring.

I realise I will have to remove the door card but I get the impression that if I pull the old ring off I will break the clips and then there will be no way to hold the new ring on.

(Does any of this make sense??)

I suspect the cover is glued to the ring which in turn has the clips to hold it to the door panel.

Edit, nope, just checked my old ones and the cover is held in to the ring by the melted over plastic rivets you can see in your first pic.

I see the new rings have no pins so you're going to have to keep the existing rings on there by the looks of things. :(

Edited by ivan (see edit history)

Edit, nope, just checked my old ones and the cover is held in to the ring by the melted over plastic rivets you can see in your first pic.

I see the new rings have no pins so you're going to have to keep the existing rings on there by the looks of things. :(

Thats the problem.... I can't work out how to put the speaker on the old ring and get it to stay there.

The cover and the ring are plastic welded together and are not supposed to come apart. the cover in the photo has 3 of the 4 mounting pegs broken off. In your 1st photo, you can see the one remaining metal spring clip at the top left - there are supposed to be 4 of those. To fit them properly you need to remove the spring clip, fit the grill through the door and re attach the 4 metal spring clips.

You can drill and attach the grills with pop rivits from the back, but i'd send those grills back to whoever you got them from and spend the refund on some new ones from toyota.

The cover and the ring are plastic welded together and are not supposed to come apart. the cover in the photo has 3 of the 4 mounting pegs broken off. In your 1st photo, you can see the one remaining metal spring clip at the top left - there are supposed to be 4 of those. To fit them properly you need to remove the spring clip, fit the grill through the door and re attach the 4 metal spring clips.

You can drill and attach the grills with pop rivits from the back, but i'd send those grills back to whoever you got them from and spend the refund on some new ones from toyota.

Cheers mate :)

I see how it works now, thank you.

Just to clarify though, is it possible to take the spring clips off (and how would you advise doing it?)... The spring clips are all present in the old ring so technically I could take the old ring off and use the clips to reattach the new ring.. (I think??)

Cheers mate :)

I see how it works now, thank you.

Just to clarify though, is it possible to take the srping clips off (and how would you advise doing it?)... The spring clips are all present in the old ring so technically I could take the old ring off and use the clips to reattach the new ring..??

Very carefully. Its very easy to break the plastic lugs, but its worth a try.

If the clips are knacked then I'd use either some black silicone or a two part glue, Save yourself all the heartache :)

Yes well i'm trying to do it properly if that makes sense. When I get into the car I want them to know it has been done well.

Very carefully. Its very easy to break the plastic lugs, but its worth a try.

I suppose that wouldn't matter so much as the plastic lugs will be for the old ring i'm taking off.

Break off the last lug, drill 4 holes in the same locations as the 4 lugs used to be, being careful not to drill through the mesh, then attach using 4 small pop rivits from the back of the door card. Pull the rivits slowly or you'll snap the grill.

OK, thanks, I will give that a go tomorrow morning. Just need to find some pop rivets now :)

Love the night pics of the inside of your car btw. :)