Guest CoolsBlue

Guest CoolsBlue

How hard is it?

this is what i got, would like a little help/confirmation

1. remove the 2 bolts to loosen the calliper and let it free of the disc

2. the disc will come of?

3.fit the new disc in place and put the calliper back on

4. tighten the 2 bolts?

want to change my pads while im at it and repaint my callipers, so letting them loose will make it easier to paint them perfectly this time round, also all hoses will still be connected? dont need to get into no bleeding the brakes??

considering some of those 3g discs gaz has on offer for my N/A..yes a N/A:D

cheers, Kev

Guest Gaz-Szr

I changed my brakes a month back and the only problem i encountered, well wasnt a problem more of a delay, was that the original disc had become attached by rust, so score around the center hub to free some of the rust up and as you spin the disc give it a few hard taps from behind to free it up. (soft mallet)

The rest is as you describe, remember when replacing the pads to take off the cap to your brake fluid resevoir and push the pistons back in, as your new pads will have more meat on them.

Nope its that easy. The caliper carrier can be a bitch cos the bolts never get touched apart from disc changes. Worthwhile also giving the sliding pins on the calipers a clean and grease (if you still have J spec calipers on yours lol) As per Gaz take the res cap off, and put something round it to catch any brake fluid that might be displaced :)

Before you put the caliper and pads back on you'll have to push the piston back into the caliper to make way for a wider disc and pads.

I normally use a G clamp to push the piston back into the caliper, you can lever them in too but be careful that you don't damage the piston seals.

Check the sliders on the J spec caliper to make sure they're okay.

Your brake fluid reservoir level will go up aswell so unscrew the cap and make sure it doesn''t overflow, you may have to remove some.

You can leave the flexible hose connected but obviously the caliper will still remain attached to the car by the hose, just make sure you don't damage the hose at all.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

I did mine some time ago in gold, they look spot on, if you have the time its better to take them off, de-grease them, clean them, give them lots of coats of your colour paint, (make sure paint doesnt go where it shouldnt).

Get some good Supra de cals from flee bay, stick them on carefully then a few coats of clear laquer.

Do two at a time, easy to do over a weekend, possably a day, for two.

Good luck. Bob.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am trying to change my j-spec discs to the 3G ones. Having got immensely angry taking the callipers off, I am now left with the below situation (see pic)

It looks as though I have to take off the massive bolt in the middle, but is this not true?

The disc just isn't coming off and I am starting to get seriously frustrated!

Thanks for any help.

Ben

07122008073.jpg

Hi,

I am trying to change my j-spec discs to the 3G ones. Having got immensely angry taking the callipers off, I am now left with the below situation (see pic)

It looks as though I have to take off the massive bolt in the middle, but is this not true?

The disc just isn't coming off and I am starting to get seriously frustrated!

Thanks for any help.

Ben

Thats the rear wheel isnt it?

If so, take the handbrake off ;)

Or if you have done that, turn the disk round so the hole in the disk lines up with the mechanism inside the hub so you can wind in the brake shoes.

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

Hi Ben.

If it is the rear you will have to take off the hand brake and then turn the disc/wheel by hand untill the hole in the disc is at bottom dead center.

You then have to stick a largish screwdriver into the hole and what you will then be trying to do is turn a little star wheel inside, the star wheel has its points facing you if you see what I mean, you have to use the screwdriver to turn that star wheel either upwards or downwards, one direction will bring the handbrake on more one direction will take it right off.

You will have to do it by trial and error cos I cant remember which way does what, but if you turn it a bit one way then check the handbrake you will know which way your going.

You have to loosen this right off before the disc will come off, I know from past experiance.

Let us know how it goes.

Bob.

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

Hi Ben.

If it is the rear you will have to take off the hand brake and then turn the disc/wheel by hand untill the hole in the disc is at bottom dead center.

You then have to stick a largish screwdriver into the hole and what you will then be trying to do is turn a little star wheel inside, the star wheel has its points facing you if you see what I mean, you have to use the screwdriver to turn that star wheel either upwards or downwards, one direction will bring the handbrake on more one direction will take it right off.

You will have to do it by trial and error cos I cant remember which way does what, but if you turn it a bit one way then check the handbrake you will know which way your going.

You have to loosen this right off before the disc will come off, I know from past experiance.

Let us know haw it goes.

Bob.

Thanks so much for the reply. I have had to admit defeat for now, as time (and hence light) is not on my side.

However, I will try again next weekend as I don't like to give up that easily! I will put your advice into practice and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I WILL SUCCEED!!