The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few niggles

charlton

I'm hoping some of you will be able to help out with a few niggles I'm having with the Supe, nothing major just more annoying!

1 - Squeeky brakes. They are barely a few weeks old but are quite dusty as I havent washed the Supe since I put them on, could this be causing it as they didn't squeek when they were new? I've read a thread about shim kits, will these work even though they werent squeeking when new? They dont do it when breaking hard, unfortunately that is not a option when driving in traffic, its quite embarassing!!

2 - Misty windows. Everymorning the Supe seems to mist up and the only way to clear it is to put the air con on which is not fun when the idle is high anyway. It's not just the mornings, it happens all day, the blowers wont clear it so I have to either leave a window open - not good in the rain or use the air con - not good in the cold as it doesn't get warm.

3 - Fan belt. This is on its way out as its whirring, kind of sounds like its grown a turbo (or thats what I want to think) how much do these cost roughly as I need to replace it

Thanks for your help!

2)

Paul whiffin does a heated front screen (with elements running through it like a ford). due to winter coming may get one of these myself to stop the winter misty windows and clear the ice quicker..

hope that helps..

not the cheapest option to cure the problem i am sure, but may be well worth the investment.

1 - Give them a good workout. Go out and find some room, get to highway speed (or more) and brake hard down to low speed a few times. Remember to check that there aren't anybody behind you and do keep in mind that you could experience some fading, depending on the brakes.

2 - check if you have hole through to the outside anywhere. I had this problem with my old MK2 that had a 2" hole through the body UNDER some anti-rust coating due to the guy not cleaning before spraying the coating

3 - Call Toyota and check.

Noises are are hard to place over the net, however a fan belt should be cheap. There is probably a leak somewhere causing the misting, so a heated screen(how much are they? Nice option but im sure v pricey) would just mask the problem.sometimes the boneheads entrusted in doing yr brakes bin the shims, which iirc can cause squealing.

The heated windscreen is a nice idea but IIRC they were about £500 or so, not sure if I'm going to be in the country long enough to appreciate it, that and as R Black says it just masks the problem. I will definately check for any holes, I did not think of that before - hopefully there isn't any!!

I've been trying to wear the brakes down a bit but didn't want it to be for a lost cause. I will be checking for the shims later - hopefully they are easy to tell if they are there

I was going to call Toyota later to check on the fan belt prices but thought I'd check on here in case anyone new of an offer or discount somewhere

Where you off to then?

Somewhere hot and where I'm going to be paid well! Oz or Dubai hopefully, have looked into the US but they dont get enough holiday - 10 days on average, I guess they have more public holidays.

Everything is still in the pipeline, not sure what to do with the Supe - will probably keep it so I have a car for when I come home :D I've been considering getting another Supe wherever I end up :eyebrows:

Edited by charlton (see edit history)

3 - Fan belt. This is on its way out as its whirring, kind of sounds like its grown a turbo (or thats what I want to think) how much do these cost roughly as I need to replace it

try and spin the big fan on the front of the engine by hand, does it spin easily with light pressure.......it won't spin for long/far but it should be easy to move if you see what i mean?

I'm hoping some of you will be able to help out with a few niggles I'm having with the Supe, nothing major just more annoying!

1 - Squeeky brakes. They are barely a few weeks old but are quite dusty as I havent washed the Supe since I put them on, could this be causing it as they didn't squeek when they were new? I've read a thread about shim kits, will these work even though they werent squeeking when new? They dont do it when breaking hard, unfortunately that is not a option when driving in traffic, its quite embarassing!!

2 - Misty windows. Everymorning the Supe seems to mist up and the only way to clear it is to put the air con on which is not fun when the idle is high anyway. It's not just the mornings, it happens all day, the blowers wont clear it so I have to either leave a window open - not good in the rain or use the air con - not good in the cold as it doesn't get warm.

Thanks for your help!

Regards with No 2, are you sure you havent got recirculate on when wou are de-misting because recirc will keep all the moisture in the air, whereas the normal blow function will not (i dont know its magic) i know that recirc will come on automatically sometimes and i had this problem but then i realised and switched it over

Regards with No 2, are you sure you havent got recirculate on when wou are de-misting because recirc will keep all the moisture in the air, whereas the normal blow function will not (i dont know its magic) i know that recirc will come on automatically sometimes and i had this problem but then i realised and switched it over

Yes it is, I will have to try that next time. I couldn't find any holes either but I think it may be something to do with one of the seals around the door.

I hope the answer to those is no, because your not going to like the suggestion if the answer is yes ;)

I havent noticed any wet floors but now I am worried - what would this mean? My heater matrix is knackered and needs replacing?

Correct, classic heater matrix leakage symptoms. Got a nice thick coat for the winter? :)

Oh great I hope not, I know its a big job to fix which is why I havent been too worried about fixing it when it wouldn't go warm and I would drive around in a jacket sometimes!! Now it seems to have sorted itself out and gets warm which is nice but I guess it means it is knackered :rolleyes:

Oh great I hope not, I know its a big job to fix which is why I havent been too worried about fixing it when it wouldn't go warm and I would drive around in a jacket sometimes!! Now it seems to have sorted itself out and gets warm which is nice but I guess it means it is knackered :rolleyes:

It is a rather interesting experience when it suddenly gets foggy, and you wind down the window to discover the fog is on the inside :)

It isn't a great job, however having done a few it isn't a terrible job and of course I would advise that you replace it with a NEW core, given the amount of work required it would be silly to put a 2nd hand unit in.

It isn't something you can just ignore either, due to the fact the coolant runs round the matrix even when it isn't in use, as soon as a breach appears you will start loosing coolant and pressure and the car will start to run hot.

If you aren't planning on replacing the matrix soon, I would consider removing the matrix from the cooling circuit and putting some sort of restriction in a joining pipe (This is still under debate), otherwise you risk the matrix going pop when you are out and about.

Do you have an aftermarket rad cap by any chance?

It is a rather interesting experience when it suddenly gets foggy, and you wind down the window to discover the fog is on the inside :) ?

:D

It isn't something you can just ignore either, due to the fact the coolant runs round the matrix even when it isn't in use, as soon as a breach appears you will start loosing coolant and pressure and the car will start to run hot.

If you aren't planning on replacing the matrix soon, I would consider removing the matrix from the cooling circuit and putting some sort of restriction in a joining pipe (This is still under debate), otherwise you risk the matrix going pop when you are out and about.

Do you have an aftermarket rad cap by any chance?

The car isn't running hot or at least it isn't any higher than usual, it sits around the halfway mark or a little lower on the guage. I think it will be best to replace it rather than bypass it - I've got a few days of holiday left that need to be used this year....