The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fingers Crossed

Guest Supra-man

Guest Supra-man

Hello everyone,

Im Ryan from sunny and rainy Malaysia in the south east asia region and im in need of some final persuasion before i take the plunge into my first Toyota Supra.

At present im really considering a 1996 TT model (models available here are all JDM save for 1 dude who has an UK import) manual 6 gears and to date has only 75000kms on the counter.

My only qualm is that the car is already 12 years old. And while i have no plans to terribly modify it (im gunning for a 400+bhp daily driver), im quite worried about the tinworm issue. Many forums i see dont bring it up, but it'll be nice and reassuring to know if rust isnt a major problem. Im also considering a R34 GT-R Vspec which is much newer but ive heard that the supra is much easier on fuel and more comfy to be in. The GT-R test drive went really bad, the car with stock suspension is just too stiff given the skimpy 35 profile tires and Malaysian B roads are as lousy as ones in Jersey.

Please advise on this matter.

And thanks for having me in the club.

Welcome mate, its rainy here and not sunny. Rust is not a problem with Supras. Mine is 15 years old, been in this country - therefor seeing salt on the roads in winter, I only garaged it the first winter I had it - for 7 and a half years and there is no rust on it.

Welcome to the club chap!

I guess any car made of steel will rust eventually, but I've got a 1994 supra and it hasn't got any rust on it. I haven't seen any mkIV supra with anything more than rusted stone chips. Maybe it's how the Japanese galvanised the bodies, but they obviously did something right.

Guest Supra-man

thanks loads guys,

Just to check, i thought the only production car that wore galvanised bodies was the 1970s Audi Quattro?

Anyway if it is so then its a huge relief. Ill post some pics of the cars im seeing. Hopefully you guys can give some input on the condition. The reason why im asking is because this is going to be my daily driver. An when i mean daily driver its serious...trips to wet markets, picking up groceries, pootling about in town and rip-roaring down the highways.

Thanks again

I could well be wrong about the Japanese galvanising their cars. I thought that all manufacturers did nowadays: seems I was wrong.

But I can confirm that I haven't yet seen a rusty supra, and I've seen a few. Some people (myself included) get the underside treated with corrosion protection. There's some debate as to whether it's a good idea or not, but mine seems to be holding up well. Hope that helps.