The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do next for improving 1/4 mile time???

edd_t

What do I do next?

I recently went BPU, having the Whifbitz Stage 4 performance pack fitted. Plus a HKS SuperDragger and HKS SSQV at the same time.

Over last years 1/4 mile time I was 2 seconds faster this year, running a 13.3 which I'm happy with, for now anyway!

So whats the next step in getting a little more power/speed out the engine? I dont want to go crazy with a single build or anything lol!!!

hi edd, keep the 6 speed box m8, im a uk running a hks silent hi flow exhaust with avon tyres on the rear also ditch finders lol, and i was running 12.8 with all my car as i drive it around, nothing taken out (seats - spare wheel - and half tank of fuel and was still hitting 12.8 - (4) 12.9's i have a blitz icolour boost controller and was runnning 1.3 most the day with the turbo's in the TTC MOD.

Practice. There's a real fine line between lighting the rear tyres up and bogging down - that sweet spot that feels so good when you find it where you just catapult away from the line. It's all about feeling the grip available as you launch and manipulating the throttle to make the most of it - too much and you start with the wheelspin and the run is wasted, too little and you bog down before picking up again and the run is also wasted.

Spec wise over what you have:

- Soft suspension of some description (promotes squat at the rear on the launch)

- Rear camber adjustment to be as minimally negative as possible (ideally aftermarket camber arms that allow positive camber to be dialled in thus allowing neutral camber on the launch for maximum tyre contact patch on the surface and so maximum traction)

- Drag Radial or Race compound road legal tyres

- FMIC if you don't have one already

- Stand Alone ECU (since you're Manual, I'd say a piggyback if Auto) - Solaris seems best choice given features, reliability and VFM

- Aftermarket Radiator

- Race Fuel of some description

Cheers,

Brian.

Practice i'm afraid is all that i would recommend for now. If you ran a 15 in a TT thats not great, granted you have got that down but a second and a half of that is down to a better run IMO.

Definitely have the wheels aligned properly but there is definitely a lot more to come from your car as it is.

Grip on the launch will determine a good run. This year i've seen low 11's on cars with less than 300bhp.

Without a good launch you can't get much better, even with more power you can only claw back time at the end of the 1/4 if the grip isn't there in the first 1/8th.

Tyres are important, forget R888 if you are looking at serious times, they are more of a track tyre but better than most normal road tyres.

Wheel size may help, larger tyre wall allows some flexing, spreading of flat surface onto track at launch. You can also change the gearing with different tyre sizes.

Suspension is difficult if you use the car on the road as you need to squat at the rear without the front lifting too much, rear wheel camber can be altered to allow wheels to lay flat on launch but again not good for everyday road use.

Tyre pressures can be alter depending on track temps etc.

Loys can be done and changed but until you do things consistantly it's hard to say if any changes are working, so practice, practice and practice :)