The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tiptronic owners

Kirk

Cool :) what's it like in manual mode? Gearchange jerky and slow???

Posted via Mobile Device

As long as you dont wear gloves or have very long fingernails, and you push the buttons positively, the gearchanges are very quick and smooth...quicker than a manual I'd say.

bear in mind that review was written nearly 10 years ago...by me. And I now own a tiptronic.

I have owned an auto, 6sp and now a tiptoe and I find its the best all round solution for my style of driving.

The gear changes are quick, you quickly learn to use the buttons on the wheel and its also a good talking point.

I could still use a normal auto about the same though. Its a question of getting used to how the gearbox behaves.

I would still like to swap the buttons. Having UP on one side and down on the other. But its something you get used to.

I wouldnt go all out specifically to track down a tiptoe, if you find the right one then go for it, but if you cant find what you want (colour, spec etc) then a good auto will be as good.

bear in mind that review was written nearly 10 years ago...by me. And I now own a tiptronic.

You know, I never actually knew that, just spotted the email at the bottom, should have spotted it sooner :)

As far as the buttons go, when I get the chance I intend to rewire mine to do exactly that style of operation.

You know, I never actually knew that, just spotted the email at the bottom, should have spotted it sooner :)

As far as the buttons go, when I get the chance I intend to rewire mine to do exactly that style of operation.

yep, its been a long road to where I am now. Never thought I would be in a tiptoe but I am.

I (and others) await with interest what solutions you can find on the buttons. Proper paddle shift would be great...!!

I (and others) await with interest what solutions you can find on the buttons. Proper paddle shift would be great...!!

If you could find a wheel with a paddle adaptor to fit it would be very easy to do. The difficult part would be getting one that has the paddle part to fit a supra.

If you could find a wheel with a paddle adaptor to fit it would be very easy to do. The difficult part would be getting one that has the paddle part to fit a supra.

The paddle shift on the Lexus IS 250 auto works well, although its a six speed auto...both up / down behind the wheel, up shifts one side, down shifts the other....the wheel is very similar from what I've seen close up too...maybe some possibility of adapting it if some one clever enough has the inclination.

I'm not, although I'd pay reasonably good money to have it done...I have managed however to convert a Lexus IS 250 auto gearknob to Supra VVTi.

Picture 10.jpg

Edited by Ewen (see edit history)