The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can you spray paint the black bit under the nose? (pic)

Aerotop Dave

I've been looking at some pics of cars with the standard side skirts and I don't like the way the front sometimes looks 'higher' than the rest of the car, as in the pic I've attached (not my car btw)

Is it possible to spray that bit silver to match the rest of my car? I was wondering if it was made of some strange rubbery stuff that wouldn't take paint very well...? :confused:

I'm sure I've seen pics of cars with standard front ends that have that bit the same colour as the body... I just can't seem to find any.

Thanks peeps.

can you spray this bit.jpg

Originally posted by TDRAPER

Aha!

Thats kinda answered my question too, I was about to ask a similar thing, also I hadnt really noticed the active spoilers before how do the fold away? and do they not catch the ground at all??

:stupid:

The active spoiler only comes down at 60 mph, so shouldn't give you any problems. Unless you go over some speed bumps at over 60.....that might :innocent:

BTW - It retracts upwards, goes comletely up, behind the lower trim mentioned above. I hope that makes sense !

I was going to get mine colour coded aswell last year but Toyota quoted me something like £500 !! to get it done. Well you can buy a brand new nose for that type of money so I thought I'd do it my self sometime.

Has anyone taken that lip off the nose before? Is it an easy thing to do without having to take off all the active spoiler components etc.?

Originally posted by Paul Laing

A bodyshop told me that because it's rubber you shouldn't paint it, iv'e seen loads painted and they look great! They said that it could crack the paintwork, don't think it would though!!

Paul

i had mine painted in september and i have done over 3000 miles and no cracks or chips :thumbs:

if it helps i asked guy when i bought my supra and he said he got it with the front lip sprayed and he got it in 1997. So far no chips or anything no hairline cracks (unlike my bloody bumper which is full of them!!) the only part where paint has gone and not much at all is where the flexy rubber is joined to body work, but then this is a sharp corner in the rubber, i couldnt tell u if it flaked little when being attached or over time though.

IMO it would look stupid on my white car to have a black lip :baa:

Originally posted by dude

My God i just clicked the JIC link in your sig , if anyone thinks sups are dropping in price check out these comedians !!! they must have allmost £10 K profit in some of their cars !!!!

Dude:flame Dev

:D I haven't looked at there site for a long time but I remember thinking they were very, very expensive when I did. Still plenty of people seem to buy from them so I'm sure they are making a very good profit.

They've always been pricey - it's been discussed on here quite a few times. I was offered a car initially from the importers that subsequently turned up at JIC so for one car at least I know what the mark up was. If memory serves, it was around £2500-£3000 (I was offered it for £12500 odd IIRC). They've always been a quality service though - I don't think I've read a single complaint on here about the cars they've provided to people, which can't be said about a lot of other importers...

• 5 years later...