The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Raf marham trackday experience Sat 11th

johnd-mkiv

Spent the last couple of weeks prepping the car ready for this track day. I fitted my new Tomei lsd in a 6 speed diff to the supra changed the oil and fitted a trd oil filter, meshed the front bumper and the oil cooler, removed alot of the interior to reduce some weight. Was looking at getting the car mapped by Ryan last week but the silicone elbow split a day before and I could not get a replacement quick enough :(

Managed to get a spare pair of wheels from Tom :thumbs: then some tyres from a garage next to my work, as the last track day I ruined a brand new set :blink: the new silicone elbow arrived so I refitted that and heat wrapped part of the exhaust manifold which caused the split.

Myself and my mate Rob would be taking it in turns to drive my supra on the day, when we arrived the weather was perfect not a cloud in the sky. The event was not as busy as it has been with around 80 cars there so they just ran an open track in hour long sessions. Took some time getting used to the car as it handles very different from my old black one. The new diff and rps carbon carbon clutch made engine braking a challenge locking the rear wheels and throwing the car side ways, the spare tyres I had only had 245/40/17 tyres on which struggled to get traction so after half a lap they were melting, causing the car to slide all over the place :eyebrows:

I was the only supra owner there, apart from an Evo probably the fastest car there but that blew up at lunch so I was left on my own, had a race with a 4.5 tvr cerbera put that to shame along with an old ferrari, was great when they all bunched up as soon as the straights come up the supra left them all for dust. The GT60 turbo I have fitted is a perfect street and track turbo it flew around I just wish I had some r888's or slicks fitted as I could not get the full potential out of the car.

Had a comment from a golf turbo owner saying " I thought I was staying with you, but then you come on boost" :D

Had a great day the car run faultlessly, I had to give up when the spare wheels went down to the cords and had just enough petrol to get to a filling station. Its a really well run track day will be doing the next one for sure with some good tyres to get the best out of the car. Big thanks to SI for organising it ;)

The fun did not end there for me though On leaving the army base I realised my front tyres were worn down to the limmit marks, I had no choice but to chance it. 10 miles away from the base im taking it easy chatting to me mate when a copper jumps out of a bush in the road shouting at me to stop the car in front of me stops and pulls in where the copper tells him to go and me to pull in, I see he has a speed gun in hand as soon as I get out of the car he is reading me my rights. I was told I was doing 42 in a 30 limmit 3 points and a £60 fine comming my way I then sh$t myself realising I have no front number plate and two bald tyreshe spots the plate asks me where that was I blagged him on that but then he spots the tyres and checks all four. I was lucky to be honest as he told me If I go to the local tyre garage and get replacements he will not do me for them or the plate I leave him and head for the local tyre place feeling very lucky :blink:

The thing that really annoyed me was the car in front of me that I was following for some time must have been doing the same speed yet he pulls me over :thumbdown:

some pics of the day Videos will follow as soon as my mate can upload them

John

Supra pics 275.jpg

Supra pics 273.jpg

Supra pics 266.jpg

Supra pics 267.jpg

Supra pics 274.jpg

Supra pics 270.jpg

Supra pics 280.jpg

Supra pics 276.jpg

Supra pics 277.jpg

Supra pics 271.jpg