The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Both of my Turbo's are dying!!!

SilverSoop

Hi all, my Supe went upto Toyota GT today and James fitted my new 5 piece polishes hard pipe kit, polished vac pipes and correctly fitted my new Induction intake kit.

Toyota GT also polished my former HKS intake pipe which is now just...well, shiny...:D

I would like to say a big thankyou to the guys at Toyota GT for their outstanding work and also I now know excatly what needs to be done on my Supe...:)

During investigation of both of my Turbo's, No1 is passing ALOT of oil through BOV and into my Intercooler.

James said that my seals were well on their way and I have alot of freeplay in No1 and No2, so will both need replacing very shortly...:(

This has happened for two reasons, I had 8 boost leaks in the system (which are now fixed due to new hoses and pipes)

and this caused my Turbo's to overspeed working them too hard and my hatred for the HKS intake kit for causing silt to be taken in into the Turbo's.

So, I have been told to stay off of boost until I get new ones...

Is anyone selling any J-Spec Turbo's???

Now the question is, do I get the first tubby fixed and then go single as that what James thought would be a good idea, me too...:D

What single would I go with for a VVTi, what ECU would be recommended and what parts would be needed in order to go single??

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

I know you have had some issues of late with your car but going single is a big decision and an expensive one to do it right, I would get a stock set of Jspec's on there and get it running at full BPU and enjoy it, if you do go single there is loads of info on here already :)

I know but like I was saying to James and vice versa, I am already half BPU, I might as well skip BPU and go straight for a single conversion.

It will be a while yet though...

Why would you want to get the first turbo fixed and then go single?

Just because, No2 has a while until it dies and I never really use the 2nd tubby.

No1 is well on it's way so I was going to change No1 and then go single down the line...

Just because, No2 has a while until it dies and I never really use the 2nd tubby.

No1 is well on it's way so I was going to change No1 and then go single down the line...

So basically it'll be a stop gap until you can afford/got the parts to go single. Shame the dollar is so strong against the pound at the moment :(

If you never get on to #2 tubby you will not get the best out of a single mate trust me

I have been 'victim' of chasing the pack in terms of power and single turbo's and its a very expensive game, full BPU is a fantasic power level with a good level of reliability, i would go for that and if you get fed up next year go small single, I would be happy to give you a blast in my car and see if a single is right for you

If you never use no2 turbo then you are wasting your time with a single. It is VERY expensive to do right and from what we discussed it would not be a good move at this stage. Having driven it the car drives very nicely indeed and has a lot of power to release with just BPU mods available to you, there is a lot more potential in it before you take the massive and expensive step towards a single.

From what has been said and seeing the amount of oil coming out of the BOV it does seem likely that no1 has shat itself, so just get that swapped out for a good one and be happy.

So basically it'll be a stop gap until you can afford/got the parts to go single. Shame the dollar is so strong against the pound at the moment :(

Yeh exactly, but im still undecided...:(

If you never get on to #2 tubby you will not get the best out of a single mate trust me

I have been 'victim' of chasing the pack in terms of power and single turbo's and its a very expensive game, full BPU is a fantasic power level with a good level of reliability, i would go for that and if you get fed up next year go small single, I would be happy to give you a blast in my car and see if a single is right for you

Well, I do use the 2nd Turbo but after finding that No2 is on it's way, I was going to save it's life, buy another No1 Turbo, save a load of dosh and eventually, go single.

Yeh please Dean that would be good, I would love to do that if that is possible...:)

If you never use no2 turbo then you are wasting your time with a single. It is VERY expensive to do right and from what we discussed it would not be a good move at this stage. Having driven it the car drives very nicely indeed and has a lot of power to release with just BPU mods available to you, there is a lot more potential in it before you take the massive and expensive step towards a single.

From what has been said and seeing the amount of oil coming out of the BOV it does seem likely that no1 has shat itself, so just get that swapped out for a good one and be happy.

:D

Well as I said to Dean, I do use No2 but after finding that one is going too, I was going to save it's life, buy another 1st Turbo, wait a while, and go single...

But No1 has literally shat itself, it is in a terrible state!! :(

Ask Dick, TrickyRicky, he sold me one set so probably still has the other set. He had two pairs in total.

Yeh good idea but weren't the turbine blades chipped I recall reading??

Be very careful before going single. If this is your daily driver then i personally would not recommend it.

Also, i am a firm believer in needing £15K set aside to do a single conversion properly.

Have a chat with Jamie P and see what he has spent. Cutting corners on a single conversion is a massive false economy.

If owning a single is your dream, then fix your car and sell it. Buy one that is already completed and proven to run well.

EIGHT boost leaks? Yikes!

Can you list them out, because I think I've got partly the same problem.

I've got re-builds/sort-of-hybrids on mine, and even without any extra setup I love them - tonnes of instant power and fast spool...but with suspected leaks, they're losing their appeal right now. :(

Just buy 2 new genuine Toyota ceramics off Nic or whoever and a new set of gaskets. Fit the stock air box and a stock paper element, enjoy a reliable car. Or spend 15 K plus and watch money burn.

a voice of reason in the pool of confusion
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

Be very careful before going single. If this is your daily driver then i personally would not recommend it.

Also, i am a firm believer in needing £15K set aside to do a single conversion properly.

Have a chat with Jamie P and see what he has spent. Cutting corners on a single conversion is a massive false economy.

If owning a single is your dream, then fix your car and sell it. Buy one that is already completed and proven to run well.

As I have said, I have already planned to go single in the future but knowing that both of my Turbo's are on their way out, I am going to replace the first and save No2.

Then, after saving and saving, I am going to go single but tbh, I don't want to sell her...

I will only use her for shows/meets etc and have another car as my daily driver...

EIGHT boost leaks? Yikes!

Can you list them out, because I think I've got partly the same problem.

I've got re-builds/sort-of-hybrids on mine, and even without any extra setup I love them - tonnes of instant power and fast spool...but with suspected leaks, they're losing their appeal right now. :(

Basically Ark, they were all hidden in my vac hose pipe lines and through my breather pipes under the rocker cover which did'nt help things and caused my Turbo's to overspin...:(

I would get them fixed ASAP Ark as your Turbo's will be like mine! :(

Just buy 2 new genuine Toyota ceramics off Nic or whoever and a new set of gaskets. Fit the stock air box and a stock paper element, enjoy a reliable car. Or spend 15 K plus and watch money burn.

I should...but I would like to go single and use her for shows and meets and have another car as my daily driver...maybe an N/A supe...:D

So you have taken the HKS 'filter' off then right?

Oh yeh, definetely, I have got a Blitz sonic induction system on now and it's a hell of alot better!

I blame that 'filter' for causing damage to my Turbo's! :(

a voice of reason in the pool of confusion
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

I may sound confused JB, but tbh, I think it's the way forward.

Instead of fixing both then going the rest of BPU and eventually go single, I am going to replace No1, save No2,

then go single eventually and use another car as my daily driver...:)

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

I personally wouldnt go single again. I changed back to a stock car so I can start again and stay with stock turbos.

I doubt I would even go hybrid. Stock ceramics are great for what they are.

Sadly the lure of a single turbo is great, but so too are the costs. Allow £10k minimum to do it right.

Think long and hard about whether its worth the cost to change, and think what else you could do with £10k.

I personally wouldnt go single again. I changed back to a stock car so I can start again and stay with stock turbos.

I doubt I would even go hybrid. Stock ceramics are great for what they are.

Sadly the lure of a single turbo is great, but so too are the costs. Allow £10k minimum to do it right.

Think long and hard about whether its worth the cost to change, and think what else you could do with £10k.

Yes you are totally right JB, I was thinking of going Hybrids at one point.

However, after hearing and seeing how poor they really are, I would rather stick the the J-Spec Turbo's.

I am thinking about it long and hard but tbh, my mind is made up, if I do go single, a VVTi Single would be...interesting! :D

I was thinking of saving 10k plus, like I said to James at Toyota GT, the only thing is, im not sure exactly what things would be needed or what Turbo to go with...

why all this talk of £15K for a single conversion! if you buy a phr street kit you can just bolt it on and run as normal on the stock injectors and ecu (see link ). which is no more then £3000 and if you wont it set up to run at optimem then just get a aem standalone ecu and other bits which I'm selling for £1100 and a set of injectors 650 cc will do you can get them for about £ 350 then Ryan to map it £400 . that's a good reliable single for £5000 with good parts not cheap rubbish. £15k is just well over the top if you only wont a 450 to 500 bhp car . see link

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/Templates/frmtemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=25&SearchYN=N

Edited by supra matt (see edit history)

why all this talk of £15K for a single conversion! if you buy a phr street kit you can just bolt it on and run as normal on the stock injectors and ecu (see link ). which is no more then £3000 and if you wont it set up to run at optimem then just get a aem standalone ecu and other bits which I'm selling for £1100 and a set of injectors 650 cc will do you can get them for about £ 350 then Ryan to map it £400 . that's a good reliable single for £5000 with good parts not cheap rubbish. £15k is just well over the top if you only wont a 450 to 500 bhp car . see link

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/Templates/frmtemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=25&SearchYN=N

You make it sound so easy, it never works out this way however, and as these cars get older it gets worse IMO

Yes you can 'bolt on' a single kit but stock 440's and stock ECU is asking for trouble

Do it right or doing do it at all, it will end in tears :)

LOL! here we go again, on the "can't do a single on the cheap" and not have to spend a fortune to run it bit, well my reply to that is b*****s! OK i picked my kit up SH and already had the rest in place as i was BPU++, and i can do all the necessary myself, so have an advantage, but so far all mine has cost me is an oil cooler, which was planed anyway, oh and lots of petrol;)

not going to piss you all off by saying exactly how much it cost me;)

Sits back and waits for the you will be sorry as your manifold will crack and everything will fall apart as its not a well known brand brigade:p however if my manifold does crack i will simply take it off and re weld it, and fix anything else that should present itself, with knowledge that it still didn't cost me the silly money that some people pay:)

I don't agree with what is advocated on that link.

What about cooling; intercooler up to the job, radiator upto the job, engine oil cooler, transmission cooler if auto. Clutch to handle the power if manual, gauges to monitor things. The list goes on and on if you want a reliable car.

I'm a fan of hybrids myself, maintains stock appearance but packs a bigger punch and keep sequential setup although TTC will probly work better with hybrids

Posted via Mobile Device

going from ceramic stock turbos to steel based hybrids puts a lot of lag in to the process. The steel turbos take much longer to spool, your low down grunt has disappeared and its no longer such a good all rounder.

On the single turbo costs, yes you can do it on the cheap, but then you are running a car thats only just faster than a BPU+. If you want to run 1.4bar on a t-61 or t-67 then you need it properly mapped and to do that you need at the least a piggy back. Then the cooling becomes questionable.

If somebody wants to do the spanner work themselves and already has a car at BPU+ then its not going to be £10k, that would be obvious. But very few members would be able to remove a full set of stock turbos, mount the new turbo, and then wire in the AEM CORRECTLY.

Most mappers will walk away from a poorly built single or badly fitted ECU. They expect it to be done right.