The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine build

daz

Cheapest way would be to source a KNOWN second hand engine and swop

I went for a new Toyota bottom end as a base and that was around 2K delivered, then add on a new water and oil pump to be safe

Labour really depends on the builder and if you do rebuild I would replace the rods and bolts for aftermarket parts if you plan on bigger power at some stage

how much would an basic re build cost with stock parts any one done it and can any one give me any information on the cost doing the job as well

cheers daz

It's really quite an open question because it depends on what's wrong with it.

It could be the head gasket, which is a relatively easy fix, or it could be something a lot more drastic that requires a full strip down and rebuild.

If it needed or you just wanted a complete strip down and rebuild - and a proper job doing at that, then you could be looking at a minimum of a grand in parts and I would probably imagine about the same in labour. Then there would be the cost of pulling and re-fitting it.

whoops i put a new coil pack on last week plus a new clip . today had a look again i NOT push the clips right in , thats y it was runnig ruf we did snif test today from the rad mint did the exhaust it change colour but no cats on then we did pressure test on the rad set too 1.1 , 45 min later no leaks at all and no pressure drop . cw did cylinder test about 300 miles ago was ok . heater matrix ok no wet floor at all . so were is the coolent going ? been out for blast to nite runs awsome again . just like i had bpu done again . how mad are these car s

Edited by daz
fix it (see edit history)

Water pumps can dribble when hot and the coolant evaporates before being seen as a puddle until they get chronic. When did it last have a new water pump? I'd try a pressure test when cold and see if waggling the pump pulley with the belt off shows any drips from the drain nipple. Or just slap a new pump on? Rads can weep at the bottom and again the water evaporates, so no drips at first. they can look mint at the top, but be a disaster area by the bottom tanks...

hi cw the car had new water pump fitted 1500 miles by toyota with new rad cap . i did the pressure test when cold. new rad was done year ago toyota as well look still like new? i think just sell it now 5k money after money

cheers daz

I had a leaking water pump. The pump had been changed recently but it was the rear housing at the back of the pump which mates onto the front part that the fan belt drives. I could see water stains around the area and when i ran the car i couldn't see where it was coming from. took it apart and did a dye penetrant check on the rear housing to find a very very fine crack about half an inch long. I was loosing about a litre of coolant for about 2 hours of driving.