The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing airbag from unit?

Guest CoolsBlue

Guest CoolsBlue

Hi all, got a 96 pssenger side dash airbag unit, want to remove the airbag, but one thing im worried about, its says the airbag contains poison?!?!! is it ok to dismantle? disconnected from the car

really dont know what to do.

Kev

Hi all, got a 96 pssenger side dash airbag unit, want to remove the airbag, but one thing im worried about, its says the airbag contains poison?!?!! is it ok to dismantle? disconnected from the car

Kev

When you say dismantle? do you mean removing from the car or actually taking it apart. If you are just removing then you will want to unplug the yellow connector after disconnecting the battery and leaving it for ten minutes at least. If you are planning on dismantling it then you are on your own as they contain pyro charges.

Aren't airbag systems supposed to be replaced every 10 years anyway?

no idea, are they? If so then there's going to be a sudden demand on replacement units lol:D

can anyone confirm this? What's the issue with it therefore needing replacement?

I'm a great believer in there's a safety feature for a reason, and therefore wouldn't want to remove anything like that (unless maybe you have full racing seats with harnesses, which mean your airbag would just explode infront of you as you're held back in your seat)

Kev

Not sure about poison but obviously contains explosive. I removed mine quite easily, just unplug the yellow plug and discharge yourself is what I did ...

At the time I removed so I could put a baby seat in the front. Now I have full harness etc.

Guest CoolsBlue
When you say dismantle? do you mean removing from the car or actually taking it apart. If you are just removing then you will want to unplug the yellow connector after disconnecting the battery and leaving it for ten minutes at least. If you are planning on dismantling it then you are on your own as they contain pyro charges.

jesus, all i want is the flipping dash facia of it:dso there a pins inside that will blow it once i undo all the bolts?

Guest CoolsBlue

DONE IT!! it was nothing.

NOT!! sat there crapping it, undid the top bolts, lifted it free of the face bracket, then just broke the 2 plastic clips of the facia which let it free, now all i have to do is make it fit to the supra!!:D

Guest CoolsBlue

Ok, remove the unit as justgav said, then undo the bolts along the top, 4 iirc just those, then push down to release the black unit from the dash face bracket, then there are 2 plastic clips, 1 on each side lower down, jsut break them of, and figure out a way to fit the dash face...

The SRS ECU's are different for 1 or 2 air bags, so no, I don't think it will plug'n'play.

There's a lot of scaremongering with air bags. The 10 year recommended change is because the chemicals that charge the initial explosion can 'go off' over time and either not be quite as effective, or simply not work at all!

Also, you don't need to disconnect the car battery. You just need to make sure the ignition is fully off. - The air bag circuits are not powered until the ignition is on.

I've removed 7 refitted loads now and never had any problems... Yet ;)

The SRS ECU's are different for 1 or 2 air bags, so no, I don't think it will plug'n'play.

There's a lot of scaremongering with air bags. The 10 year recommended change is because the chemicals that charge the initial explosion can 'go off' over time and either not be quite as effective, or simply not work at all!

Also, you don't need to disconnect the car battery. You just need to make sure the ignition is fully off. - The air bag circuits are not powered until the ignition is on.

I've removed 7 refitted loads now and never had any problems... Yet ;)

Removed pass side airbags on the supra before? fancy the job?

Is there any way to distinguish the SRS ECU types, the 1 or 2 that is? Can they be changed to accomodate the addition of the passengers airbag?

One ECU is much bigger than the other. You'll also find the wiring different.

I'm sure you could retro fit the entire ECU & loom as I believe it's all separate though...

Removed pass side airbags on the supra before? fancy the job?

If you wish...